Posted on March 5, 2013
RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights
RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights - RFK Center for Justice & Human Rights
The Development Manager is a new full-time position, created by the RFK Center to help it leverage its considerable assets and increase its annual budget (currently at $10 million) by expanding its major donor giving program, and re-engineering the overall multi-component giving and donor recognition program. The Development Manager will report to the Chief Operating Officer and work in close partnership with Board President and Executive Director. S/he will be based in New York. The Development Manager will be an integral member of the senior leadership team, participating in the organization’s overall strategizing and stewardship. The Development Manager will be supported by the Development Coordinator and Development Assistant.
To fill this position, the RFK Center seeks a fundraising generalist with a track record in major gift and foundation fundraising. S/he will be charged with leading RFK’s overall fundraising operation; securing funding from institutional and high-dollar individual supporters; developing new fundraising programs (i.e. annual campaign, online giving, endowment), where opportune; overseeing fundraising systems and infrastructure; and establishing a clear strategy for sustainable growth.
Fundraising Strategy and Implementation
- Build RFK’s donor base and pipeline of prospects by crafting and implementing annually a comprehensive development strategy to raise funds from foundations, other institutional donors, and individuals. Report regularly to organization leadership on fundraising progress against stated goals.
- Create a compelling donor recognition program, offering meaningful recognition for donors of all types and all amounts.
- Prepare work plans, budgets and forecasts related to all fundraising activities. Should be comfortable with setting quarterly as well as annual fundraising goals and have systems in place to benchmark and track activities and progress.
- Manage development infrastructure and systems, e.g. integrated digital record-keeping, reporting, budgeting, research, etc.
- Work with RFKC leadership to build measurement and evaluation into RFKC programmatic work and build programmatic outcomes into funding cases for support.
- Lead targeted research and develop the strategies and relationship-building paradigms required to attract major donors ($5,000+ gifts) and high level individual donors ($25,000+ gifts). Support and coordinate with the senior leadership to cultivate and solicit all major donors.
- Develop a major donor program that includes cultivation events, from time to time, showcasing the RFK Center’s work.
- Create appropriate written communications geared to engaging the interest of individual donors.
- Proactively cultivate ongoing donor relationships through personal contact, other ongoing forms of information sharing, and timely thank-you notes.
- Lead the entire organization to excel in donor cultivation, relationship management and stewardship.
- - Foundation and Other Institutional Gifts
- Direct and analyze research to identify new sources of institutional giving.
- Draft and oversee drafting of proposals and reports in collaboration with development and program staff; ensure all proposal and reporting deadlines are met.
- Ensure regular communication with institutional donors and develop responses to their inquiries.
- Assist with the strategic positioning of programs.
- Work closely with senior leadership to nurture and develop new relationships with program officers and other foundation personnel.
- Develop synergies, where appropriate, between and among the various development activities such as fundraising events and the RFK Compass Program. Develop effective working relationships with board leadership and individual board members involved in fundraising, while maintaining organizational protocols.
Senior Management Activities
- Work closely with colleagues across program areas in order to maximize organizational and fundraising effectiveness.
- Keep board members updated and informed on fundraising progress, including reporting back at Board meetings from time to time.
- Commitment to social justice and to RFK’s mission and values
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5-7 years of relevant experience in nonprofit fundraising environment
- Proven track record cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding various donor constituencies
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills, including the ability to maintain effective working relationships with people from diverse national and cultural backgrounds
- Ease relating to influential, well-known individuals and high-dollar donors
- Ability to maintain high standards of ethics, integrity, and professionalism, and to handle sensitive and proprietary financial information
- High energy, goal-directed, task-driven relationship-builder
- Flexible multi-tasker
- Excellent analytical skills, organizational and time management skills, including attention to detail
- Computer proficiency in Windows Operating systems, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word), knowledge of and demonstrable proficiency with donor management and research databases
- Flexibility to travel on occasion
- Familiarity and experience with international affairs and human rights
- Knowledge of languages other than English
- Experience with organizing special events
Terms and Compensation - This is a full-time paid position. Competitive salary and benefits; salary commensurate with experience. Opportunity to play a central role on an enthusiastic, international team working in a fast-paced environment.
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and 3 references to:
Subject: RFK Development Manager
Please note, due to the high volume of applications received, the RFK Center will follow up with candidates as necessary. No further calls or emails, please.
Job Type: Development/Fundraising
Organization Type: Nonprofit Organizations