Posted on January 14, 2011
Director of Development and Marketing
Project Access, Inc - Director of Development & Marketing
Benefits: Paid time off for vacation, sick leave and holidays; medical, dental, and vision insurance and 125(k) flexible spending account after three months of service; life insurance; employee assistance program; and 401(k) after three months of service with up to 4% matching by company after one year of service
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; may include non-traditional hours (evenings and weekends)
Project Access’s Mission: To be the leading provider of vital health, education and employment services to families, children and seniors living in low-income housing communities. Our goal is to help keep family members employed, children in school and seniors active.
Position Summary: The Director of Development & Marketing plans and implements short and long-term development and marketing strategies and plan to advance the Project Access vision and mission. The Director cultivates donor prospects and maintains and enhances relationships with current donors and will be responsible for all fundraising events for Project Access. This position will not oversee the grant writing program directly, but, will be included in strategy meetings.
Functions include major gifts, PATRONS, donors and donor database, corporate partnerships, planned giving, special events, promotions, campaigns, speaker’s bureau, public relations, brand awareness, media, social media, annual reports, collateral materials, advertising, newsletters, website updates, and e-blasts. This position will oversee vendors for specialized support functions, such as graphics design, events, website, and other functions, as appropriate.
Position Responsibilities and Tasks: The tasks listed below are those that represent the majority of time spent working in this position. Management may assign additional tasks related to the type of work of the position, as necessary:
Skills and Qualifications:
- In consultation with the CEO & President, create a Fundraising & Marketing three year plan that details strategy, funding sources, tactics, timelines, direct and indirect costs, and projected income.
- Implement a plan for building constituencies and raising large gifts. Plan and implement an on-going Major Gifts Program with measurable goals, objectives and outcomes.
- Develop and steward corporate partnerships.
- Oversee the PATRONS Auxiliary.
- Oversee the Planned Giving Program.
- Develop and execute fundraising campaigns (such as Adopt-a-Youth and Holiday campaigns).
- Oversee all aspects of fundraising events (2-3 major and 2-3 smaller per year) and contract with specialized vendors, as appropriate.
- Secure corporate sponsorships and vendors for events.
- Develop a strategy and plan on how to grow the volunteer program to assist Project Access with executing events and solicit volunteers to help with event preparation and implementation.
- Manage the tasks following events, including the mailing of thank you letter and recognition of sponsors and volunteers & track event success.
- Target new potential donors by coordinating and executing speaking engagements with local networking, service and other organizations.
- Provide Board and CEO & President with adequate support and tools to engage in fundraising and partner with the Board of Directors and CEO & President on large tasks, as appropriate.
- Assist in recruiting, convening, and supporting fundraising committees of the Board of Directors and PATRONS.
- Maintain the Donor Database with contact information, giving history and phone campaign survey results to be used to develop targeted solicitations. Manage the Donor Database by adding new contacts, removing old contacts, and segmenting data into meaningful categories.
- Develop and implement donor phone survey campaign for prior year donors.
- Send out congratulatory letters of recognition to potential successful donors highlighted in media outlets.
- Develop and implement a Donor Recognition Program.
- In consultation with the CEO & President, create a donor-focused Marketing Plan that details objectives, strategies, and tactics for executing marketing and promotional activities and promotes the value of Project Access and its mission.
- Work with the CEO & President and contracted organizations to implement the Marketing Plan, which addresses branding, public relations, advertising, social media, website, events, on-line marketing, direct mail, networking and promotions.
- Identify projects that require specialized skills, i.e. graphic design, social media, media relations, and develop a scope of work and schedule for each project. Solicit proposals, and interview and hire skilled contractors to support marketing efforts.
- Develop collateral materials for print, electronic, and on-line media, including marketing brochures, communications, and press releases. Update, print and distribute collateral materials including organizational brochures, letterhead, note cards, labels, press kits, Resource Center Service posters and flyers.
- Ensure that the marketing materials position the brand for high visibility with current and potential donors, partners, and clients.
- Develop and steward corporate partnerships to achieve donations.
- Advertise all fundraising/friend raising events on-line in all Orange County & Bay Area charity event calendars.
- Maintain the website content insuring that information is dynamic, current and continues to draw donors to the site. Manage overall website content and improve overall web pages that specifically relates to our target markets (developers, residents, and donors).
- Improve and update Google AdWords account with relevant with relevant events, programs, etc.
- Secure individual and corporate contributions through website online donations.
- Grow social media and all on-line aspects of marketing to achieve the established goals including the number of page views, donations, and the page ranking and number of links.
- Develop a Public Relations strategy and develop strong media contacts and press coverage.
- Ensure Project Access is publicized through targeted press releases in media and online outlets.
- Secure panel speaking opportunities at affordable housing conferences for the CEO & President.
- Send brief, targeted e-newsletters that provide updates on the organization’s accomplishments, large donations, and testimonials and promote future events and opportunities for involvement.
- Send brief email blasts that promote events, programs or other newsworthy items to current and prospective donors.
- Design and coordinate the development of the annual reports, including the owner-specific reports, and mail them to appropriate donors and partners.
- Conduct affordable housing industry and competitive research on market share and keep the executive staff apprised of competitive status or market changes.
- Develop and implement business partner survey campaign for all current partners to understand their satisfaction, concerns, and recommendations for improvement with Project Access.
- Develop and implement donor phone survey campaign.
- Keep an ongoing dashboard of metrics updated regularly. Define what metrics should be measured per social media tactic employed and ensure all meaningful elements are measured.
- Maintain the Project Access style guide.
Requires Bachelors degree in communications, liberal arts, or other related area
Strong commitment to the mission of Project Access
Requires ten years experience in fundraising for health, educational, social services, including demonstrated success in major gift solicitation and marketing
Minimum of five or more years experience hiring and managing contractors
Working knowledge of Southern and Northern California philanthropic community desirable
Ability to offer creative and innovative marketing and communications solutions
Ability to make sound, ethical decisions and judgment calls in a strategic manner
Ability to use discretion and sound judgment in interactions with Project Access staff, volunteers, the public, and the Project Access Board of Directors
Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others
Ability to relate well to individuals with a variety of backgrounds and to represent Project Access positively in these contacts
Self-motivated, results-oriented leader, adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing and follow through
Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills and strong computer skills
The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post. Job descriptions should be regularly reviewed to ensure they are an accurate representation of the post.
Project Access, Inc. is an equal opportunity and at-will employer
Please submit a resume and cover letter with “Service Coordinator for Golden West Tower” as the subject. Joye Schultz, Human Resources Coordinator
Job Type: Development/Fundraising
Organization Type: Nonprofit Organizations