Posted on February 28, 2013
MSA Director, NHS Vice Principal
Marin School of the Arts, Novato High School
Marin School of the Arts, Novato High School - MSA Director, NHS Vice Principal
The Assistant Principal/Director of MSA is a full time 1.0 position.
The Assistant Principal/Director of MSA reports directly to the NHS Principal and works closely with the other two Assistant Principals to shoulder the responsibilities for the oversight and implementation of the leadership required to run NHS under the direction and leadership of the NHS Principal.
In addition to NHS responsibilities, this Assistant Principal has the specific duties of overseeing and being the Director of the Marin School of the Arts, a program of NHS.
The job requirements include:
- A valid Administrative Service Credential, an equivalent to a valid California teaching credential in an area of the arts;
- Master’s Degree in the arts, music or performing arts related field;
- 5 years of administrative experience suggested;
- Proven leadership experience in an administration role;
- Extensive and proven leadership in the arts, and arts education;
- Proven track record successfully building an arts or innovative program in a public school system;
- Ability to build internal and external relationships with diverse stakeholders such as NUSD, NHS administrators and educators, a fundraising Board, and the community;
- Proven teaching experience to inform leadership role;
- Ability to lead a multi-dimensional, award-winning arts program; and,
- Ability to provide leadership on behalf of NHS, MSA, and NUSD.
MSA RELATED JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership for MSA
- Provides core leadership and administrative duties for the Marin School of the Arts academy at Novato High School with a student body of 500 and growing; and,
- Engenders and builds a collective vision for MSA, a program of NHS, to take it into the next chapter of its development building on its ten year history.
Curriculum oversight for the arts program at NHS + MSA
- Manages and develops the full spectrum of arts curriculum for all of Novato High + MSA;
- Stays abreast of the innovative approaches that exemplify nationally acclaimed arts programs in the diverse disciplines that include: music, theater, dance, creative writing, visual arts, video and film. This includes the sub areas that represent the breadth of music instruction for example, such as jazz, chamber music, choir and rock band, or in the case of visual arts, ceramics and 3D art, drawing and painting, digital arts, graphic art & design, and photography;
- Provides ongoing supervision of MSA/NHS facility use and participates in creating the vision and leadership for master plan development and expansion in coordination with MSA/NHS facilities planning + development team.
Coordination and oversight of arts teachers and administrative staff
- Participates and oversees weekly MSA teachers meetings;
- Supervises and mentors all arts teachers in MSA;
- Evaluates MSA teachers and assures high quality performance in accordance with school standards and standards associated with an arts program;
- Supervises the MSA Office Manager; and,
- Participates in the NUSD hiring process including establishment of job requirements, interviews, tours, and hiring in coordination with the NHS Principal.
Discipline and standards of behavior among MSA Students
- Develops and establishes standards and goals for admission;
- Develops and establishes standards and goals for student achievement in coordination with MSA teachers;
- Handles all discipline issues with MSA students;
- Participates in the interview process of prospective students; and,
- Provides advising and coaching to nurture student’s highest potential.
MSA and NHS community participation and external relations
- Acts as ambassador, spokesperson and diplomat on behalf of MSA/NHS/NUSD community;
- Works with and mentors all NUSD art programs and academies to develop an integrated and differentiated NUSD curriculum and team;
- Works with local, district, countywide and regional agencies and the arts community to continue, develop or expand partnerships;
- Continues, develops, and deepens awareness and knowledge of MSA and its students with partnerships with local, state and national colleges and universities, especially those with strong programs in the arts;
- Works closely with MSA parents and students assuring diplomacy and the proper ongoing communication necessary for running an arts program; and,
- Presents and speaks publicly on a regular basis for the promotion of and visibility of MSA and NHS.
Financial and fundraising
- Shapes and manages the operational budget for MSA in close coordination with NHS and the MSA fundraising entity, the MSAF Board;
- Participates in the shaping of the annual fundraising plan with the MSAF Board;
- Works closely with MSAF Board in the ongoing management of the fundraising and revenue generating activities in support of the program;
- Cultivates donors through tours of MSA and NHS;
- Reviews collateral materials used to promote the program and secure outside support;
- Approves and provides supervision of all arts events;
- Reviews grants generated by the Board and writes grants to assure the ongoing funding for MSA;
- Participates and assists with grant writing.
- Attends all required school and district meetings; and,
- Prepares and delivers updates on goals and achievements of MSA/NHS.
Coordination with MSAF Board
- Works closely with the Board to assure the ongoing vision and direction of MSA and the supporting role the Board plays;
- Participates in the shaping of annual goals and priorities for the MSAF Board;
- Communicates on a regular basis with the MSAF Board President and the Board as a whole; and,
- Attends all MSAF Board of Directors meetings.
NHS RELATED RESPONSIBILITIES
Novato High School responsibilities include and are subject to change at the direction of the NHS Principal and include activities such as:
- Participates in ongoing school supervision;
- Assists with academic curriculum, student discipline, planning and organizing and facilitating NHS activities and events;
- Supervises and evaluates additional NHS faculty that may include some counseling and clerical staff;
- Evaluates teachers and staff members;
- Participates in Master Schedule development;
- Participates in new staff application review and hiring;
- Is involved with school reform design and implementation including; and,
- Implementation of the WASC, SPSA and school board recommendations.
For the official Novato School District job description & posting, please go through EDJOIN before March 15, 2013: