Posted on February 26, 2013
Alpha Public Schools
Alpha Public School - Principal Fellow
Alpha Public Schools is a new network of public charter schools, operating secondary schools that use blended learning approaches to enhance teaching and personalize the student experience.
Alpha: Blanca Alvarado Middle School, the network’s first school, opened in the Alum Rock School District of East San Jose in 2012. Its second middle school will open in the fall of 2014. Alpha’s mission is to provide children from high-poverty communities an education that effectively develops the academic skills and competencies of character to overcome the achievement gap, graduate from college, and become self-reliant and productive leaders. Alpha’s founding classes will graduate from college in 2022 and 2023.
Alpha is Seeking Entrepreneurial Leaders who Will Thrive in a Dynamic Startup Environment
Alpha is seeking a successful educator to lead its flagship middle school. The ideal candidate is a great teacher, knows how to lead others, has the entrepreneurial spirit required for a startup, and deeply believes in the no excuses/high expectations world of charter success. A Growth mindset and strong mission alignment will be the defining characteristics of successful applicants. The Alpha principal fellowship is an outstanding position for a superstar educator ready to spend a year learning and then leading a school in an organization that embraces technology and blended learning while driving towards college prep for low-income students.
Principal Fellows will undergo 12 months of intensive professional development and hands-on leadership training. They will report directly to Alpha’s CEO. Upon successfully completing the program, fellows will lead schools within the Alpha network. Alpha fellows have high expectations for all students, staff and themselves; are willing to work hard and do whatever is necessary to ensure the success of every student; take risks; embrace change; be innovative; commit to continuous improvement; and learn from data and from their own failures. Fellows will embrace and learn to foster a growth mindset in others, deliver constructive criticism, and collaborate as part of a team. These leaders will also possess personal character and a consistent track record of high performance that is results-oriented. Finally, Alpha’s leaders will hold a deep belief that all students can succeed in college.
Alpha Principal Fellows will have the chance both to shape the principal role at Alpha and receive the training and experience needed to develop into successful school leaders within the Alpha Public Schools network, but should possess a comprehensive educational vision that is consistent with the school’s mission and educational program.
Alpha’s Principal Fellows Will Have Diverse Backgrounds, but We Especially Value These Experiences
- 3+ years of teaching experience – particularly in low-income schools. Increasing levels of leadership/responsibility, and exceptional student outcomes should be present.
- Experiences outside of school/work that demonstrate leadership, drive, and the ability to take an idea to successful fulfillment.
- A sustained commitment to school and workplace that demonstrates an understanding of persistence and responsibility to completing a job.
- Experiences that demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese.
What Alpha Offers Its Principal Fellows
As a principal fellow at Alpha, you will change the educational and economic trajectory of students who otherwise would not attend college. Alpha understands that principal fellows may join the organization with limited school leadership experience and will be supported in their professional development. Alpha offers competitive starting salaries including a ten percent, merit-based bonus; excellent medical benefits; a travel stipend to visit other high-performing schools and conferences; a safe, engaging, dynamic work environment; a remarkably supportive staff and organization with all the resources required for success; and a real chance to change children’s lives and to revitalize an underserved community.
To Apply to Become a Principal Fellow at Alpha:
Please send the following items to John Glover at firstname.lastname@example.org:
2. A cover letter that includes a response to the following question: A sixth grade student is frequently tardy, rarely completes homework, is disruptive in class, and has been disrespectful to his teacher. Efforts to reach the child’s family by phone, email, and other traditional means have been unsuccessful. His teacher, a second-year TFA corps member, has been sending him to the office with increasing frequency. As a first-year principal, how would you proceed?
3. College Transcripts are optional but appreciated.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. A single PDF version containing both documents is preferred.