Posted on February 26, 2013
Alpha Public Schools
Alpha Public Schools - Learning Coach
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools operating secondary schools that use blended learning approaches to enhance teaching and personalize the student experience.
Alpha: Blanca Alvarado Middle School, our first charter school, opened in the fall of 2012 in the Alum Rock School District of East San Jose. Alpha’s mission is to provide children from high-poverty communities an education that effectively develops the academic skills and competencies of character to overcome the achievement gap, graduate from college, and become self-reliant and productive leaders.
Alpha is Seeking Energetic Learning Coaches who will Thrive in a Dynamic Startup Environment
As part of Alpha’s unique blended model, learning coaches serve an integral role in ensuring students perform exceptionally well at Alpha. Alpha learning coaches have high expectations for all students and work with them individually and in small groups, coaching students on all computer programs and performing targeted individual interventions during school day and during the afterschool program. Coaches must be very comfortable with technology, skilled at tracking student progress, and must value communication with classroom teachers and collaborating effectively as part of a team. Learning coaches will have the option to participate in the Alpha Residency Program, whereby individuals who wish to become teachers will have the benefit of spending significant time with students in a coaching/tutoring role, receiving meaningful professional development, and being paired with a mentor teacher, while independently pursuing a teaching credential.
Alpha’s Learning Coaches Will Have Diverse Backgrounds, but We Especially Value These Experiences
- A sustained commitment to school and workplace that demonstrates an understanding of commitment and responsibility to completing a job and to teamwork
- Desire to work with middle-school aged children; ability to motivate and support children in reaching high levels of academic success
- Previous experience managing and/or teaching groups of middle school-aged students is preferred
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to engage and work closely with fellow staff members
- Basic computer skills including troubleshooting and the ability to communicate about technical difficulties
- Ability to analyze and manage student data in order to best support student progress
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese is preferred
What Alpha Offers Its Learning Coaches
As a learning coach at Alpha, you will change the educational and economic trajectory of students who otherwise would not attend college. You will significantly and directly impact the success and direction of a start-up charter school, and have the opportunity to advance into a teaching role within a rapidly growing organization. Alpha offers competitive starting salaries; merit-based bonuses; excellent medical benefits; a safe, engaging, dynamic work environment; a remarkably supportive staff and organization with all the resources required for success; and a real chance to change children’s lives and to revitalize an under-served community.
To apply, please send the following items to Paige Abramson Hirsch at email@example.com:
2) Cover Letter
3) A writing sample that answers the question: Why do you believe you would be an effective learning coach?
4) Transcripts (optional)
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. A single PDF version containing all three documents is preferred