Posted on February 26, 2013
Alpha Public Schools
Alpha Public Schools - Alpha Teacher
Alpha Public Schools is a new network of public charter schools operating secondary schools that use blended learning approaches to enhance teaching and personalize the student experience. Alpha: Blanca Alvarado Middle School, our first charter school, opened in the fall of 2012 in the Alum Rock School District of East San Jose. Alpha’s mission is to provide children from high-poverty communities an education that effectively develops the academic skills and competencies of character to overcome the achievement gap, graduate from college, and become self-reliant and productive leaders.
Alpha is Seeking Entrepreneurial Teachers who will Thrive in a Dynamic Startup Environment
An excellent teaching corps rests at the foundation of Alpha’s success. It is the vehicle by which we will deliver on our promise of exceptional student achievement. Alpha teachers have high expectations for all students and a willingness to work hard, doing whatever is necessary to ensure the success of every student. They are risk takers who embrace change, commit to continuous improvement, and learn from data and from their own failures. They will be eager to and capable of giving and receiving constructive criticism and of collaborating constantly as part of a team. Our teachers possess a growth mindset, strong personal character, and a consistent track record of high performance that is results-oriented. Finally, Alpha’s teachers hold a deep belief that all students can succeed in college, and that it is the responsibility of secondary school teachers to ensure that success.
Alpha’s Teachers Will Have Diverse Backgrounds, but We Especially Value These Experiences
- 2-5 years of teaching experience – experience in an urban public school preferred but not required. Alpha teachers must hold a valid teaching credential (please see http://www.ctc.ca.gov/ to learn more)
- Relentless drive to advance the minds and lives of students in and out of the classrooms.
- Hard-working, punctual, urgent, energetic, and willing to learn and adapt, embracing a spirit of self-reflection and possessing a constant desire to improve.
- Evidence of self-motivation, desire to be a team player, and strong sense of personal responsibility.
- Strong organizational skills, communication skills (with children and with peers), and problem solving skills.
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese.
What Alpha Offers Its Teachers
As a teacher at Alpha, you will change the educational and economic trajectory of students who otherwise would not attend college. You will significantly and directly impact the success and direction of a start-up charter school, and have the opportunity to advance into a leadership role within a rapidly growing organization. Alpha offers competitive starting salaries including a ten percent, merit-based bonus; excellent medical benefits; a safe, engaging, dynamic work environment; a remarkably supportive staff and organization with all the resources required for success; and a real chance to change children’s lives and to revitalize an under-served community.
- Implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards.
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards.
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices.
- Participate in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions.
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior.
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of academic standards.
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues.
- Participate in an annual three-week staff orientation and training.
To Apply to Teach at Alpha:
Please send the following items to Paige Abramson Hirsch at email@example.com:
2. A cover letter that includes a response to the following question: You have a student who consistently misbehaves and has not responded to the interventions of the schoolwide discipline system. What do you do?
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. A single PDF version containing both documents is preferred. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.