Posted on February 21, 2013
Chief Executive Officer
Legal Information for Families Today
Legal Information for Families Today - Chief Executive Officer
LIFT's mission is to enhance access to justice for children and families by providing legal information, community education, and compassionate guidance, while promoting system-wide reform of the courts and public agencies. LIFT offers one-of-a-kind services to some of New York City's most vulnerable families as they navigate through the Family Court system.
LIFT was launched in 1996 when three lawyers had the simple but revolutionary idea of establishing "go-to" locations in New York City's Family Courts that would provide on-site help and legal information for families struggling to make their way through the complex Court system. Before LIFT, there was no source of information or guidance available, and families were left to fend for themselves in a confusing and intimidating Court system.
Today, with a staff of 15 and an annual operating budget of approximately $2 million, LIFT operates innovative, award-winning programs in the New York City Family Courts and community, all of which share the goal of promoting positive outcomes for families and children.
LIFT recently concluded a comprehensive strategic planning process, which identified key areas of potential growth and expansion for the organization, including deepening current services and expanding the "go-to" location model on Long Island and/or north of New York City. This is an exciting time in LIFT's history and the new CEO will work closely with the Board of Directors to strategically expand and improve upon the program's existing success.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The new CEO will serve as the leader, manager, fundraiser, and public face of LIFT. Working with an engaged and committed Board of Directors, he/she will maintain LIFT's current level of service excellence while simultaneously driving the organization's ambitious expansion plans.
The CEO is responsible for all executive functions of LIFT, principally working to execute the strategic plan; maintain and enhance the Board of Directors; ensure active and results-oriented communications with the organization's numerous stakeholders; fulfill annual budget goals by driving private and public fundraising; provide daily fiduciary and organizational oversight; and advocate for and help shape relevant public policy.
This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to advance social justice in New York State by leading LIFT into its next phase of growth and continued excellence.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Strategic Planning and Leadership
Partnering with the Board of Directors, the CEO will advance and refine the strategic plan and programmatic expansion opportunities. The CEO will drive impactful programmatic operations and expansion by monitoring trends in the field, examining LIFT's outcomes, and collaborating with the Board, staff, and those served by the organization.
Board Relations and Engagement
The CEO will work closely with the Board of Directors to maintain and build a strong, diverse and motivated Board. He/she will encourage, motivate and support the Board in its fundraising and governance responsibilities. Throughout this collaboration, the CEO will assure open and consistent communication and provide accurate, timely and relevant information to the Board including clear metrics, outcomes and data.
Fundraising and External Affairs
The CEO will serve as the chief development officer, spokesperson and ambassador of LIFT, representing the organization to a wide variety of constituencies and leading ongoing public dialogue related to family court. He/she will drive a comprehensive fundraising program, including identifying and cultivating gifts from individuals, foundations, and government sources. Additionally, the CEO will ensure strong and effective relationships with key stakeholders such as government agencies, the New York City Council, the Court System, and other external partners.
Financial and Organizational Management
The CEO is responsible for the overall management and oversight of the organization's operations, finances, programs and services. This includes: the supervision of staff, talent management activities, and policies and procedures; program and funder compliance with all contracts, rules and regulations; and updated, accurate information for clients. The CEO also provides sound management and fiduciary oversight of the organization and annual budget.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate will be a dynamic, inspiring and highly accomplished leader and manager committed to the mission and future of LIFT and energized by its contribution to the families and children of New York City and beyond.
Forward-thinking, strategic and compassionate, the new CEO will be a team leader able to engage, motivate and collaborate effectively with a talented and dedicated staff and Board; government, judicial and public officials; Family Court litigants; and a myriad of other key partners. The successful candidate will be enterprising and resourceful, able to build on existing program strengths and confidently and strategically pursue public and private funding to sustain and enhance the current structure.
Key Professional Experiences Include:
- Significant senior executive leadership, management, fundraising and operational experience at a complex organization of a relevant size and scope;
- Proven board relations and governance skills;
- A track record of and enthusiasm for fundraising, government relations and public affairs; including demonstrated ability to identify and solicit major individual and institutional donors and government contracts;
- Excellent communication skills; articulate and persuasive with the ability to serve as a spokesperson and connect with a wide variety of stakeholders;
- Strong business and fiscal acumen; significant budget planning and management experience;
- Embraces metrics and outcomes, using both as a tool for management, program planning, and communications;
- Experience and familiarity with Family Court is preferred, including court operations, pertinent statutes and regulations, and agencies (public and non-profit) involved in Family Court; and
- An understanding of and appreciation for legal and court systems, advocacy and public policy.
Key Personal Attributes Include:
- Passionate and committed to social justice issues and the mission, purpose and future of LIFT;
- Exceptional relationship building and interpersonal skills; a sense of humor is appreciated;
- Inspiring, with the executive presence and sophistication to represent and advocate for the organization, yet open and comfortable working with diverse socio-economic and multi-cultural communities;
- A creative problem solver who is a strong listener, with a relentless pursuit of results and excellence; and
- The highest standards of ethics, integrity, respect and humility.
Bachelor’s degree required; J.D. strongly preferred, other advanced degree a plus.
Regular travel within the five boroughs; additional travel to Albany and nationally approximately 5-10%.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Legal Information for Families Today is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Please email cover letter and resume in confidence to:
Sandler Search Associates
880 Third Avenue, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10022
Web site: www.sandlerassociates.org