Posted on February 14, 2013
Development Officer, Membership, Individual Giving
Aperture Foundation - Development Officer, Membership, Individual Giving
Aperture is a not-for-profit foundation, connecting the photo community and its
audiences with the most inspiring work, with the sharpest ideas, and with each other—in
print, in person, and online.
Created in 1952 by photographers and writers as “common ground for the advancement
of photography,” Aperture today is a multiplatform publisher and center for the photo
community. From our base in New York, we produce, publish, and present a program of
photography projects, locally and internationally. The Foundation offers public programs
including lectures, workshops, panel discussions, and conferences that contribute to and
expand the dialogue on photography’s role in our society as well as outreach education
for children and teens building visual literacy and aimed to engage diverse new
Aperture is seeking a Development Officer to shape and manage the organization’s new
membership and individual giving programs, fundraising events including Aperture’s
annual fall benefit, and major donor cultivation activities. The Officer reports directly to
the Director of Development.
- Shape and implement a multi-tiered membership plan in collaboration with the Director of Development and cross-department staff by Fall 2013
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Development to create an individual giving fundraising plan including donor prospect identification, cultivation, acknowledgement, and solicitation
- Develop and implement strategies, goals, and timelines aimed at increasing individual donor base, average donor gift size, and total funding support secured from individual donors in order to achieve annual financial goals
- Support the Director of Development with all areas of Major Donor cultivation
Oversee the coordination and fundraising success of the Aperture Foundation Annual Benefit & Photography Auction, as well as other smaller events.
- Responsibilities include: event concept development; supporting the event leadership, auction, and sponsorship procurement process; producing materials; publicity; and follow up activities, including 100% close-out of pledges and receivables and acknowledgements
- Conceptualize, plan, execute, and evaluate dynamic, mission-centered activities and events for individual donor cultivation, prospecting, and renewals (e.g. exclusive patron trips to Paris Photo and other prominent photography events, patron recognition receptions, artist salons, etc.) in collaboration with development and program staff, Board, and event committees to raise funds, awareness, and visibility of the organization
- Manage all logistics for events, including research and selection of event venues; overseeing production; sourcing and management of all event vendors, facilities; transportation; preparing and modifying contracts; supplies, event timelines, production schedules, and run of show, seating, volunteer recruitment, training, and coordination, etc.
- Track finances including budgets, check requests, invoicing, and reporting
- Coordinate event team workflow, priorities and coordinate the team’s collaboration with other departments
- Bachelor’s degree 5+ years of development experience, including the coordination of fundraising events
- Significant experience in the conceptualization, strategic development, and implementation of membership programs and management of individual donors; ability to solicit gifts
- Demonstrated ability for special event management, providing outstanding customer service, and being able to build relationships with internal and external contacts
- Strong organizational and project management skills; adept at working under tight deadlines and managing multiple projects simultaneously with little supervision; willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact with diplomacy and tact amid influential clients and diverse groups, both in person and by phone, with high professionalism.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, proof reading skills, and speaking; exceptional attention to detail
- Knowledge of DonorPerfect (preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite (required)
- Passion for Aperture's mission
- Knowledge of photography preferred
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and
experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and
how you heard about this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the following
Subject line: Individual Giving and Special Events Officer
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.doc
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis up to March 4. NO CALLS, PLEASE.
Aperture is an Equal Opportunity Employer