Posted on February 12, 2013
Senior Development Director
Institute for Advancement of American Legal System
Institute for Advancement of American Legal System - Senior Development Director
Peak HR Consulting, LLC seeks a Senior Development Director for IAALS - the Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System.
IAALS is a national, independent research center dedicated to continuous improvement of the process and culture of the civil justice system. By leveraging a unique blend of empirical and legal research, innovative solutions, broad-based collaboration, communications and ongoing measurement in strategically selected, high-impact areas, IAALS is empowering others with the knowledge, models and will to advance a more accessible, efficient and accountable civil justice system.
IAALS is an independent entity, though its team partners extensively with their colleagues at the University of Denver, and IAALS' members are DU employees. Additionally, the IAALS' offices are on the DU campus which allows the leadership of the Institute to work closely with faculty and staff at the law school and other parts of the University.
IAALS currently has four initiative areas. Quality Judges identifies and recommends empirically based models for choosing, evaluating and retaining judges that preserve impartiality and promote accountability. Rule One identifies and recommends court processes and procedures that provide greater access, efficiency and accountability. Honoring Families identifies and recommends dignified and fair processes for the resolution of divorce and child custody cases in a manner that is more accessible and more responsive to children, parents, and families. Educating Tomorrow's Lawyers identifies innovative models of legal education that ensure knowledgeable, ethical and practice-ready professionals.
The Senior Development Director is responsible for developing and implementing a strategic fundraising plan, focusing on prospecting, cultivating, soliciting, and closing major and principal-level philanthropic gifts and grants.
The Senior Development Director is responsible for raising $2.0 - $2.5 million annually.
The Senior Development Director reports to the Executive Director of the Institute. The Senior Development Director is also part of the University of Denver's advancement team. Numbering 25 experienced professionals, the institutional advancement staff at DU lead the University's efforts to maintain financial sustainability for the multiple programs and offerings of the institution. The Senior Development Director has the opportunity to use the extensive resources of the advancement function and to partner with highly trained and committed advancement colleagues on a regular basis.
Qualifications and Requirements:
IAALS seeks a highly motivated, self-starter with broad experience in successful fundraising from individuals, corporations and foundations. The successful candidate will be experienced in development strategy and planning, donor cultivation, direct solicitation, volunteer management and donor stewardship. This leader will have polished presentation skills and the ability to connect with all aspects of the legal and academic communities. The successful candidate will be flexible, energetic, strategic, a team builder, a strong manager, and have a proven track record with nonprofit annual gift campaigns, endowments and major gift programs.
Additionally, the leadership of IAALS seeks candidates with these skills and capabilities:
Commitment to Mission
- Passion for the mission of IAALS and the advancement of the legal system.
- An understanding of the law and legal institutions.
- Experience in working with highly educated professionals.
- Ability to relate well to a wide variety of audiences, including the University's academic, administrative, and volunteer leadership.
- 5-10 years of successful fundraising including direct experience in making initial contacts with new donors, strategizing and obtaining large gifts, and the design and implementation of both annual and special campaigns, and direct solicitations.
- Experience with grant writing and preparation of proposals, motivating volunteers, and planning and execution of successful fundraising activities.
- Significant experience with all donor constituents, including individual donors, corporate partners and sponsors, and foundations.
- Strong track record of thoughtful donor stewardship.
- Experience in raising major gifts in higher education preferred. Knowledge of structured, complex fundraising functions and sophisticated measures of results is important.
- Some marketing experience preferred.
- Board cultivation and development and affinity organization experience.
- Experience with budget development and management.
- Effective team player with experience in motivating and interacting effectively with Board of Directors, donors, and volunteers.
- Experience in working in a complex environment and knowledge of building effective working relationships in a matrixed organization structure.
- Self-motivated, energetic, results-oriented creative thinker.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Optimistic attitude and flexibility in a changing work environment.
- Highly organized, goal-oriented, entrepreneurial, and diplomatic.
- Exceptional level of integrity, communication skills and professionalism; persuasive.
Bachelors degree required, Masters degree preferred. Must be willing to live in Denver and be an active member of the community.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements electronically to Carolyn McCormick of Peak HR Consulting, LLC at Carolyn.McCormick@peakhrconsulting.com. Additional information about this position and the work of IAALS can be found at www.iaals.du.edu.
Peak HR Consulting, LLC, the Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System, and the University of Denver are committed to enhancing the diversity of their faculty and staff and encourage applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBT community, people with disabilities, and veterans. Peak HR Consulting, LLC, IAALS, and the University of Denver are equal opportunity/affirmative action employers.