Posted on February 5, 2013
Front Desk Administrative Assistant
Africare - Front Desk Adminstrative Assistant
Africare is a leader among private, charitable U.S. organizations assisting Africa. Africare is also the oldest and largest African-American led organization in the field. Africare's programs address needs in three principal areas: Agriculture & Food Security, Health & HIV/AIDS, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene.
Throughout its 40 year history, Africare has reached 30 million people across the continent with innovative, sustainable, culturally appropriate and life-changing projects to improve the quality of life in communities throughout Sub-Saharan Africa.
We strategically invest in innovating and implementing community-based solutions to complex problems, with a strong focus on skills transfer to create leaders out of beneficiaries. Our work has transformed communities and garnered wide recognition for its impact and sustainability.
Africare’s 1,400 staff members operate in 19 countries across Africa. Headquarters is based in Washington, DC where the President’s office and the Finance, Development, and Operations Departments are based. We are currently searching for a Front Desk Administrative Assistant.
The Front Desk Administrative Assistant will be responsible for all aspects of the front desk and assisting the Special Assistant. FD Admin is required to possess working knowledge of administrative procedures, reports to and works under the direct supervision of the Special Assistant.
- Welcomes visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries.
- Directs visitors by maintaining employee and department directories; giving instructions.
- Handles incoming mail and package deliveries
- Maintains security by following procedures and guidelines regarding entry to the building.
- Maintains phone system by console operation.
- Maintains safe and clean reception area.
- Maintains continuity among work teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
Administrative Job Duties:
- Assist the Special Assistant in managing the processing, organization, and distribution of high-level incoming scheduling requests.
- Assisting Special Assistant in preparing all Executive Office travel itineraries to include briefing materials, talking/speech points, schedules, etc.
- Will assist with gathering input from various departments and external resources as necessary.
- Assist the Special Assistant in managing the speaking engagement process for CEO and other staff working with external contacts, consultants, and various department staff.
- Set up and coordinate conference calls.
- Assist in meeting preparations.
- Help to maintain the Presidents contacts in the database.
- Purchase/Order office supplies as required.
- Perform special projects and research as needed.
- Assist Special Assistant with Board meeting preparation
- Undergraduate Degree
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in an administrative support role REQUIRED
- High-energy, people-oriented, engaging individual with exceptional interpersonal skills capable of exemplifying the organization’s mission and collaborative culture.
- Demonstrated ability as a team player and ability to communicate effectively with internal as well as external contacts.
- Exceptional written, verbal, organizational and interpersonal skills (including excellent telephone communication skills)
- Flexibility and willingness to work in situations of flux; ability to work in a fast turn-around environment.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and meet deadlines while working on numerous on-going projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and exercise sound judgment in making decisions.
- Sense of humor, ability to have fun.
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures to include ability to compose and format correspondence.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Africare offers a competitive salary along with an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply:
Applications should include a CV and cover letter. In the cover letter (of no more than two pages in length), the candidate should briefly describe his or her motivation for the position and highlight relevant experience and salary requirements. Successful candidate must be authorized to work in the US without sponsorship.
Please send CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org, including "Front Desk Administrative Assistant" in the subject line.
This position is opened until filled. Unfortunately, due to the large number of applications that we receive, we may not be able to respond to each individual candidate.
***No third party resumes/applications/phone calls. ***
Africare is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer committed to workplace diversity.