Posted on February 5, 2013
Associate Director of Advancement
Santa Monica Museum of Art
Santa Monica Museum of Art - Associate Director of Advancement
Reporting to the Deputy Director for Advancement, the Associate Director of Advancement is responsible for managing the programs that identify, cultivate, and steward individual donors to the Santa Monica Museum of Art. Other functions include the development of new donor programs, oversight of individual and corporate membership initiatives, and management of special events.
- Work closely with the Deputy Director for Advancement, in concert with the Executive Director, to establish long-term goals and objectives for individual giving, including an advancement plan and solicitation calendar aligned with programmatic and budgetary needs.
- Steward and solicit a portfolio of major donors who contribute a minimum of $1,000+ annually, with a special emphasis on the Ambassador's Circle ($10,000+).
- Identify most appropriate people to participate in cultivation of individuals. Engage staff and Board of Directors in the process and, when appropriate, participate in solicitation meetings.
- Work closely with Advancement team to establish long-term strategies and objectives for individual and corporate membership giving. Oversee Director's Salon ($3000 - $5000) membership level.
- With the Advancement team, align activities of membership and individual giving to ensure the regular matriculation of donors.
- Manage and oversee development associate, monitoring implementation of database management, gift processing, grants coordination and preparation, membership initiatives, events logistic preparations, donor correspondence, and mailings.
- Ensure an exceptional donor experience at all events, with a focus on cultivation and stewardship. Conceptualize and implement membership programs and small donor cultivation events.
- Assist the Deputy Director for Advancement to provide support and leadership to the Board for fundraising initiatives.
- Work with communications team to develop strategies for advancement presence in all communications and marketing. Oversee the advancement presence on the website.
- Assist the Deputy Director for Advancement to develop and implement strategy for annual fundraising benefit.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of donor communications. Prepare regular reports on all campaign activities.
- Monitor revenue and expenses related to membership and individual giving.
- Assume other tasks and responsibilities as needed.
- Education: Bachelor's degree. Post graduate study in Arts Administration, Fine Art, or Art History preferred.
- Work Experience: Minimum 5 years of development experience with increasing responsibility, successful history in individual giving, and extensive knowledge of fundraising principles, techniques, and ethics. Knowledge of Santa Monica and Greater Los Angeles philanthropic community and experience fundraising in the arts are highly desired.
- Skills & Abilities: Superior writing ability and interpersonal skills. Collaborative and creative approach to work. Exceptional organizational and analytical skills. Attention to detail. Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities. Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines with good humor. Aptitude for management and effective use of information systems in support of an advancement program. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and Adobe Professional. Familiarity with eTapestry is a significant asset. Possession of integrity, good judgment, and the highest ethical standards.
Willingness to work flexible hours. Evening and weekend hours will be required. Must be able to lift 25 pounds. Must own a car and possess a valid driver's license.
SUPERVISOR: Deputy Director for Advancement
SCHEDULE: Full-time (includes benefits)
OPEN POSITION: February 1, 2013
CLOSING POSTION: Open until filled
Send resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and salary requirements via email with subject header "Associate Director of Advancement" to Claire Ruud, Deputy Director, at email@example.com. No phone calls please.