Posted on January 31, 2013
Director of Development
America's Grow-a-Row - Director of Development
America’s Grow-A-Row (AGAR) started in 2002 with a small plot and a single volunteer — Chip Paillex. After seeing a plea from the Flemington Food Pantry requesting any gardeners donate excess produce, he cultivated his own garden and donated about $3,000 worth of produce that year. By the end of 2012, with the help of over 2,000 volunteers from families, schools, community groups and corporations, America’s Grow-A-Row donated over 325,000 pounds of fresh, healthy produce to Northwest New Jersey Community Action Partnership and many food pantries and food banks, as well as other needy recipients as far as Elizabeth and Newark. AGAR’s Mission is to help those in need through a volunteer effort of planting, picking, and delivering fresh produce, via a unique model that heightens awareness of socio-economic issues, highlights the importance of local farms, and inspires volunteers across many generations and skill sets.
America’s Grow-A-Row seeks creativity and enthusiasm in a Director of Development to manage, steward and solicit prospects and donors to expand the fundraising capabilities of AGAR. Additionally, this position will work to develop and solicit the extraordinary community of volunteers, as well as identify and cultivate corporate and foundation support. The Director of Development should exhibit excellent organization and time-management skills and very strong written and oral communication capabilities. She/he must have a thorough understanding of the development process, including prospect identification, relationship building, solicitation, and stewardship. This position will oversee a staff of two development associates and work with AGAR’s PR firm, as well as share oversight of social media communications.
Most importantly, the Director of Development must be committed to the Mission and should have an appreciation for agriculture and be comfortable working in the fields at times.
AGAR seeks a highly motivated, organized and enthusiastic Director of Development who will implement strategies to build a dynamic and effective major gifts program to support all of the organization’s operations and priorities. With a daily focus on identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individual prospects, as well as corporate and foundation prospects, the Director of Development will:
- Develop and implement strategies that engage and promote philanthropic participation among diverse groups, taking into account motivations and traditions
- Work with a consultant to organize and support volunteers and major gift committees with fundraising efforts
- Prepare persuasive proposals and materials that articulate AGAR’s mission and priorities to promote gift opportunities
- Supervise and work with the Founders on the design and implementation of the Annual Fund to achieve increased support each year
- Supervise all Development Office procedures, including database management, gift processing and acknowledgement.
- Confident, articulate communicator; knowledge of social media usage a plus
- Dynamic presentation and interpersonal skills, and the capacity to inspire and motivate both prospective donors and volunteers
- Appreciation for agriculture and be comfortable working in fields at times
- Flexible, work from home, entrepreneurial attitude
- Manage two development associates
- Proven record of success in fundraising or related field preferred
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Technically facile; proficiency in Microsoft Office and knowledge of eTapestry a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required
Click here to view full position description.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Nominations and confidential inquiries should be made to Jill Savage at Jill@theangelettigroup.com or 973-540-1400. Candidates should include a resume and cover letter with salary requirements and a list of references.
Click here to learn more and apply.