Posted on January 31, 2013
Finance and Operations Director
Seleni Institute - Finance and Operations Director
Background on Seleni
Seleni is an integrated mental health and wellness center in New York City that supports women as they navigate motherhood. Seleni promotes and advances treatment through personalized care across the spectrum of maternal and reproductive mental health.
Seleni is composed of two entities—a non-profit Research Institute and a clinical entity, Seleni Clinical Practice. This unique model facilitates the translation of research findings into informed clinical approaches, and advocates for the broader adoption and understanding of clinical practices developed from research findings. As a non-profit organization, the Research Institute also provides scholarship care for women who might not otherwise afford treatment in the clinic.
Finance & Operations Director Position
Seleni is seeking a Finance & Operations Director to provide strategic oversight and leadership for Seleni’s financial management strategy. Given Seleni’s structure as a dual entity with both for-profit and non-profit components, this position represents a unique and compelling opportunity that incorporates both strategic leadership and strong financial/accounting controls. This position reports to the Executive Director of the Research Institute.
The Finance & Operations Director will support the ongoing development of Seleni’s financial model and will oversee the execution of financial and operational procedures, including the reconciliation of accounting and cash flow between both entities. The Director will also be engaged in the development of long-term strategic planning to promote the financial sustainability of Seleni. Additionally, the Director will manage operational processes including human resources.
Beyond financial and business management acumen, it is critically important that a candidate have an interest in and sensitivity to Seleni’s focus on reproductive and maternal mental health. For the right candidate, Seleni is open to developing a flexible and accommodating in-office work schedule.
- Advise the Executive Director, Patient Director and Seleni Board on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, and financial policy matters
- Contribute to the development of Seleni’s strategic goals from the perspective of overall financial management
- Develop and implement appropriate accounting policies, procedures and systems to ensure external compliance, strong internal controls, and sound fiscal management; this is particularly important given the non-profit/for-profit design of Seleni’s structure
- Implement cash management policies and analyze cash positions on an ongoing basis
- Manage overarching Seleni financial model, including preparation and distribution of financial reports to key stakeholders (Executive Director, Patient Director, Seleni Board)
- Assist Executive Director in the budget process; track expenses and revenues vs. budget and analyze fluctuations in order to recommend responses as necessary
- Oversee annual audit procedures, including preparation of financial statements for external auditors
- Liaise with external legal and accounting resources on financial matters
- Support Executive Director in contract and salary negotiations, providing detailed information on financial implications and tradeoffs
- Working with the Patient Director and Executive Director, oversee human resources operations including the implementation of policies design to adhere to industry best practices and applicable laws and regulations
- 7-10 years of experience in finance, accounting, investment banking or investment management
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or Master’s degree in finance, accounting or related field preferred
- Experience in both for-profit and non-profit financial management, with an understanding of the relevant accounting and tax issues associated with each
- Past experience in a strategic leadership role, demonstrating the ability to incorporate financial analyses into operational recommendations
- Ability to manage the complexity of Seleni’s unique financial structure, ensuring strict controls and all necessary legal and IRS compliance
- Experience working with health issues, especially related to reproductive and/or mental health preferred but not required
- Sensitivity to and appreciation for Seleni’s focus on reproductive and maternal mental health
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience collaborating efficiently and diplomatically within a team of varied stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line: “Finance & Operations Director.” Be prepared to provide writing samples and references on request. No phone calls please.
Expectations and Terms:
Seleni Institute offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, along with an excellent, comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, 401k savings plan, paid time off, and professional development opportunities.
This is an exempt position and the employee is not eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time. However, employee understands that the nature of the position may entail additional hours for occasional meetings, emergency consults, etc.
Employment at Will Relationship: This position description does not constitute a guarantee that employment will continue for any specified period of time. Rather, employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and Seleni, and can be terminated at will by the employee or by Seleni. Seleni reserves the right to modify the job description at any time.
Seleni is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Seleni is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.