Posted on January 30, 2013
Vice President, Schools and Instruction
Chicago Public Education Fund
Chicago Public Education Fund - Vice President, Schools and Instruction
The Chicago Public Education Fund (The Fund) accelerates student achievement in Chicago's public schools by building high-performing teams of principals and teachers, improving evaluation and accountability systems, and reinventing classrooms with the innovative use of time, technology, and talent. The Fund’s investors represent a broad cross section of Chicago’s business, civic, and philanthropic leaders. They have committed $50 million to The Fund since 2000, enabling the organization to identify high-quality programs and outstanding management teams in which to invest financial capital and strategic support. We track the performance of our investments, provide strategic and operational management assistance, and leverage the business acumen of our directors and management team to have a positive impact on students and schools. Building on a strong track record of success in Funds I, II, and III, The Fund is considering a launch of Fund IV in 2013 and needs
to grow in order to do so. Please visit our website at www.thefundchicago.org to learn more about The Fund.
Two Vice Presidents – one focused on Talent and Leadership and the other focused on Schools and Instruction – will lead a small, experienced Program Investments team. Each Vice President will be held accountable for results that include:
- Working with the CEO, Program Investments team, and Board of Directors to create, manage, and assess a diverse portfolio of investments designed to dramatically improve educational outcomes for Chicago’s public school students. The Vice President, Schools and Instruction will specifically manage a portfolio of investments designed to maximize the full school day through effective curriculum and instruction models (technology-based and non-technology based), including recruiting successful organizations to Chicago and replicating successful local approaches City wide.
- Building the professional capacity of the Program Investments team, with clear targets around productivity, professional skill development, staff satisfaction, and diversity.
- Managing a set of key relationships with Board members, funders, and partners – including Chicago Public Schools, other education non-profits, and organizations in our portfolio – with clear targets around the number of new investors cultivated, fundraising, and partner satisfaction.
- Growing The Fund’s network by representing the organization at local and national conferences, meetings, and events.
The Fund seeks a seasoned senior manager and innovative entrepreneur with an unyielding commitment to providing all Chicago’s children a world-class education. Successful candidates will have at least five years of professional experience, three years of successful management experience, and will also possess:
- A clear pattern of establishing a compelling vision, managing a senior team toward ambitious outcomes, and building support among external constituents, including a Board of Directors and funders
- A history of achieving outstanding results as an individual contributor as well as through coaching, mentoring, and managing others in a collaborative, fast-paced, and high-performing environment – experience leading a startup or a significant change effort in a School System or Charter Management Organization strongly preferred
- Knowledge of and a network that supports transformational change in schools and school systems; expertise in implementing innovative approaches to curriculum and instruction or additional learning time also required
- Successful fundraising and Board management experience – prior work with national education funders or experience securing federal funding related to education technology or innovation a plus
- The desire to work in an entrepreneurial environment with a small team, to take initiative, display a strong work ethic, pay attention to detail, continue to grow as a professional, cross boundaries, and help colleagues; must be willing to work tirelessly on behalf of Chicago’s students and to contribute positively to the collaborative, innovative, and outcomes-oriented culture of The Fund
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; superior analytical skills – experience leveraging social media tools or with Raisers Edge a plus
Compensation and Reporting Structure
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly-motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. The Fund maintains compensation and benefit packages that are highly competitive and commensurate with experience. The Vice President will report to the CEO and serve on the management team. They will also represent The Fund at national conferences and have the ability to take advantage of professional development and training benefits. Application Instructions
Applications, confidential inquiries, nominations for the position, or questions should be directed to Jolynn Bryant at email@example.com. The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, applications should be submitted prior to February 22, 2013. Applications should include a resume, a cover letter, and a presentation or writing sample that demonstrates your leadership approach with a team, initiative, or department. The Chicago Public Education Fund is an equal opportunity employer; people of diverse background are encouraged to apply. No phone inquires please.