Posted on January 29, 2013
Vice President, Development
WETA - Vice President, Development
To develop, manage and grow contributions to WETA from individuals, from small-dollar membership gifts to large gifts from major donors. This position has annual budget responsibility for $16 million+ in annual unrestricted revenue, with a parallel focus on fundraising efficiency. As a member of the senior management team, the Senior Vice President, Development is expected to add value across the organization.
- Lead a team of twenty-seven fundraisers to develop, manage and grow contributions to WETA from individuals across all giving levels. Develop a strategic plan to use staff, volunteers and other department resources to achieve fundraising goals. Build an effective infrastructure to support securing gifts and generating leads in a multichannel, multimedia environment.
- Provide active, effective and inspirational leadership to fundraising professionals in Direct Response Fundraising (mail, telemarketing, e-marketing), On-Air Fundraising (television and radio), Major Giving, Planned Giving, Development Operations and Community Engagement.
- Determine the agenda and messaging for WETA's fundraising communications and outreach to our radio and television audiences and donors. Ensure an integrated marketing and communications strategy across all fundraising channels (mail, telemarketing, on-air, online).
- Work effectively with WETA's Board of Trustees and Development Committee, senior management, high net worth individuals and volunteers. Develop effective professional relationships and work collaboratively with other WETA departments to accomplish WETA's goals and achieve its mission.
- Ensure (and model) best practices in fundraising, high professional standards, strong staff management skills and impeccable ethics.
- SUCCESSFUL FUNDRAISER. An outstanding fundraiser who has grown the donor file and contribution revenue for an organization with a total budget exceeding $25 million. Strategic thinker with effective execution skills.
- DIRECT RESPONSE EXPERT. Expertise in direct response fundraising and moving donors through the giving cycle. Major giving and planned giving experience highly desirable.
- SAVVY CONSUMER MARKETER. Strong consumer marketing orientation, including inducing action in highly segmented consumer groups with differentiated strategies and messaging.
- ONLINE AND SOCIAL MEDIA GURU. Experience and proficiency using technology, particularly online and social media, to forge meaningful connections with audiences and donors. Significant online fundraising success a big plus.
- LOCAL MARKET KNOWLEDGE. Sophisticated knowledge of the Washington DC metropolitan market (WETA's broadcast area) and its philanthropic community extremely helpful.
- MANAGEMENT EXCELLENCE. Demonstrated success in leading and retaining a high-performing team of fundraising professionals.
- Demonstrated success in managing change.
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team.
- Outstanding interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
- Strong budget development and analytical skills.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to create, execute, manage and complete complex projects.
- Experience using technology to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATOR. A clear communicator to staff, the Board, WETA donors, and other senior management.
- PASSION. Personal affinity for the mission of public broadcasting.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor or Master's degree in marketing or related field. CFRE (Certified Fundraising Accreditation) a plus.
- Minimum 15 years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising and direct marketing, including at least five years in direct response fundraising and at least three years in a significant staff management role.
- Some experience in public broadcasting preferred, but not essential.
WETA offers excellent salary and benefits package. For consideration, please send letter of interest, salary requirements, and resume to email@example.com or visit our website at www.weta.org for the full job description and on-line application.
WETA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.