Posted on January 28, 2013
Connect Community Charter School
Connect Community Charter School - Founding Principal
Connect Community Charter School is seeking a creative, hardworking and experienced instructional leader to be our Founding Principal. This is a unique career opportunity to lead staff and students in creating a school that is a nurturing place for children to become change-makers, innovators, and lifelong learners.
CONNECT COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL OVERVIEW
Connect Community Charter School is a new school in Redwood City with a mission to prepare students to be self-aware, responsible, life-long learners, motivated to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing world. Connect is in its planning phase and will open in August 2013 with 125 students in grades K-2 and 6. At its capacity the school will expand to approximately 300 students in grades K-8. Connect seeks to be representative of the population of the Redwood City School District (72% Latino, 70% low-income, and 45% English Language Learners) and to bring the culture of innovation and resources of Silicon Valley to those that rarely have access to it.
Connect’s instructional model is grounded in approaches that allow children to learn and grow in ways that suit them best:
- Inquiry-based learning
- Integrated social-emotional development
- Service Learning
Connect is seeking a Founding Principal who embraces the school’s core values and spearheads the development of the school’s curriculum and culture. Connect’s highest priorities for a founding principal are building relationships with teachers and families, developing systems and structures to support the instructional and operational needs of the school, and providing teachers with high quality professional development to ensure that the instructional program meets the needs of all students.
DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Founding Principal, with support from the Business Manager and Lead Teachers, will be the instructional leader of the school. He or she will be responsible for using data to inform improvement, implementing a disciplined planning process, providing instructional support to faculty, and overseeing parent involvement and community building at the school. Other duties include:
Instructional Leadership and Student Support
- Ensures adequate support for all students to achieve academic success
- Promotes a culture of shared accountability
- Ensures teacher effectiveness
- Facilitates teacher professional development, including developing a system of distributed and shared leadership
Communication, Outreach, and Community Building
- Ensures that all members of the school community are engaged and valued
- Maintains positive relationships with external partners, the Redwood City School District, California Charter School Association, and community organizations
- Develops a plan for parent education and engagement
- Works closely with Connect’s Board and Advisory Committees
Systems and Operations
- Identifies, manages, and monitors school goals, growth and priorities
- Manages a budget in collaboration with the board and back office provider that aligns with priorities
- Works with the back office provider and Connect staff to optimize school operations
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package that is commensurate with qualifications and experience. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we intend to reflect diversity in our staff.
Ideal candidate to begin onboard process Spring 2013 with full transition of responsibilities Summer 2013.
Interested candidates should submit the following materials as separate PDF attachments. Use “Connect Founding Principal” as the subject line and send to email@example.com:
Cover letter expressing interest in the position and the unique contribution you can make to the school
Statement of leadership philosophy and practice
For more information on the school visit our website at www.connectrwc.org