Posted on January 26, 2013
Director of Outreach
iCivics - Director of Outreach
iCivics seeks a results-oriented educator to join a small team on a big mission: to revolutionize the way students learn about American government and civil society. As head of the outreach team, you’ll help us put great civic education resources into more classrooms, ensuring that our next generation is prepared to participate in our democracy. To thrive in this position, you must be excited about jumping into a growing team with a results-oriented, get-it-done, startup culture.
About iCivics: We develop innovative video games, lesson plans, and other educational resources to prepare middle and high school students for informed participation in American democracy. Founded by retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor to reverse the decline in civic education and participation of American youth, iCivics has become a leader in civic and digital learning. Our program is growing rapidly and needs an outreach strategy adequate to the need.
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
- With iCivics’ leadership, implement a strategy to drive and sustain large-scale, nationwide usage of iCivics.
- Cultivate and manage a nationwide network of volunteers to evangelize and train state, district, and local educators.
- Oversee direct-to-user marketing and retention efforts, including managing the agency that creates our online advertising campaigns.
- Sustain a continuous conversation with the iCivics community across multiple channels, especially social media, to build engagement and loyalty, help resolve problems, and to inform the iCivics team about our users and operating environment.
- Oversee the development and distribution of iCivics’ organizational publications, including brochures and the annual report.
- Manage the iCivics blog and other public-facing aspects of our website.
- Develop materials such as news clippings and event photos that support communications with our funders.
- Support iCivics’ general communications, including product launches, special events, and general public relations activities.
- Support efforts to cultivate, secure, and manage partner organizations.
- Support fundraising and grant writing as needed.
- Previous experience in marketing, public relations, volunteer management, or grassroots organizing
- Outgoing personality who enjoys working with large networks of people
- Enthusiasm for experimentation and calculated risk-taking
- Strong writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to set and keep priorities among many competing demands
- Demonstrated ability to manage others, including supervisors, contractors, and volunteers, to achieve priorities
- Passion for civic education, civic engagement, and/or educational technology
- Ability to maintain a professional and nonpartisan image
- Previous classroom experience preferred
Send resume, cover letter, and 2-3 relevant writing samples (e.g. blog posts, email newsletters, social media campaign materials) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Consider your cover letter an opportunity to impress us. Include your last name and the job title in the subject line of your email.
Unfortunately, due to the volume of application packages we receive, we are not able to make personal contact with individuals who are not going to be invited in for interviews. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you to schedule a convenient date and time.
iCivics’ offices are located in the Dupont Circle area of Washington DC. We are a small non-profit organization with big ambitions. Successful team members take ownership of results, are curious about improving those results, and take smart risks to implement improvements. We discourage bureaucratic attitudes that focus on inputs rather than outcomes.
Compensation is competitive with positions requiring similar skills and experience.
iCivics does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or political or other viewpoint in making any employment decisions.