Posted on January 22, 2013
Private Foundation - Program Officer
A family foundation located in Bergen County, NJ seeks a full time Program Officer to work on all phases of program development and grant making. The successful candidate is likely a detail-oriented generalist with experience working in a mission-driven organization. S/he will have 7-10 years of professional work history, will have developed expertise in at least one policy area and will be able to demonstrate research experience. Having worked in the areas of early childhood or aging is a plus. An essential skill is the ability to deploy analytic thinking and tools to assess capacity and financial strength of nonprofits.
- In collaboration with others, assist in researching, planning, implementing and monitoring existing and new program areas.
- Provide quantitative and qualitative analysis of grant proposals; assess viability of projects as well as overall grantee capacity to implement.
- Ensure compliance with grant requirements, track grant progress, prepare and review financial and narrative grant reports, and conduct site visits.
- Learn and maintain a best practice approach to all phases of grant making including evaluation techniques.
- Become expert in fields of interest to the foundation and communicate that knowledge to colleagues and board members.
- Cultivate and deepen relationships with prospective and current grantees.
- Keep accurate records and maintain pertinent data and perform administrative tasks as needed.
- Significant relevant professional experience with strong qualitative and quantitative analytic skills.
- Understanding of philanthropy either at a foundation or as a grantee.
- Experience working in and with nonprofit organizations, preferably with vulnerable and disadvantaged populations especially seniors or young children.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail, including proofing, financial analysis, program research and record keeping.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office and willingness to learn new platforms as needed.
- Ability to both lead and be a team member in a small office/collaborative environment.
- Cooperative and adaptable work style, able to partner effectively with a diverse array of stakeholders; have poise, diplomacy and discretion.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred.
Valid driver’s license and access to an automobile for site visits.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. To be considered a salary history must be included. Email to CNJGSearch@cnjg.org; please type Position 221 in the subject line. Note: Successful candidates may be subject to a background check.