Posted on January 20, 2013
Center for Democracy in the Americas
Center for Democracy in the Americas - Development Manager
The Center for Democracy in the Americas (CDA) seeks a part-time Development Manager for a 12-month period to help create and implement a comprehensive fundraising program that will allow the CDA to expand its modest budget by 25%.
Working closely with the Director, the Development Manager will design and implement a development strategy that will generate new revenue streams for all program areas including Cuba, Venezuela, Around the Region, and other programs as they are developed.
The successful candidate should be drawn to the Center’s mission and have a proven track record in fundraising and development. Special consideration will be given to those with knowledge of Latin America policy.
The Center for Democracy in the Americas is a non-profit, 501(c) (3) educational organization located in Washington, DC, and is dedicated to changing U.S. policy toward the countries of the Americas by basing our relations on mutual respect, fostering dialogue with those governments and movements with which U.S. policy is at odds, and recognizing positive trends in democracy and governance.
The tools we use for achieving our goals include fact-finding missions to the region, often with bipartisan delegations of U.S. policy makers; conducting cutting edge research; formulating strategies for changing policy; and engaging in outreach, hosting public events, disseminating our ideas through the traditional media and social networks; and producing thoughtful reports and analysis to a growing and influential audience of U.S. policy makers, senior journalists, academics and activists, in the U.S. and the region at large.
Job description: The Development Manager’s responsibilities include:
Workload: This is a half-time position based in Washington, DC. It may require domestic and international travel and attendance at events outside of regular work hours.
- Work closely with the Director, communications consultant, and program staff to create and execute CDA’s annual fundraising plan.
- Coordinate the writing and preparation of grant proposals and reports for new foundations or for expanded support from current foundations.
- Help identify prospects and coordinate strategies to solicit donations from them.
- Coordinate outreach to major donors for CDA’s annual event, expanding the event host committee and other fundraising strategies associated with the event. Provide fundraising support to CDA staff, board, donors and friends who solicit donors as part of the comprehensive fundraising strategy.
- Help create new fundraising vehicles (examples may be an internship fund and on-line outreach/promotion).
- Manage relationships with the donor database in Salesforce, Constant Contact, and Microsoft Outlook.
- Ensure CDA’s website and other outreach tools provide up to date information and photographs to appeal to donors to support CDA’s mission.
Experience: A minimum of five years’ experience working as a development officer. Candidates should have a record of implementing a fundraising strategy of a similar-sized organization that includes individual donors and foundations, as well as having worked effectively with staff and board members. Knowledge of and experience in the foreign policy community a plus.
- Interest in and commitment to the mission of CDA
- A self-starter who enjoys a fast-paced environment
- Attentive to detail, prompt, and persistent
- An ability to represent CDA professionally in both speech and writing
- Works well independently, yet comfortable taking direction from various colleagues simultaneously
- Familiarity with computers and databases, Salesforce, Constant Contact a plus
- Familiarity with preparing budgets
Compensation: This is a consultant position, $50,000/year.
CDA is an equal opportunity employer. To learn more about CDA, please visit our website at www.democracyinamericas.org .
Please send resume, two references and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.