Posted on January 14, 2013
YWCA of Queens
YWCA of Queens - Executive Director
The YWCA of Queens is seeking a dynamic new Executive Director to lead the organization into an exciting new chapter of growth. The YWCA of Queens is a non-profit social service organization located in Flushing, Queens, one of the most vibrant and diverse neighborhoods in the country. The mission of the YWCA of Queens is to provide opportunities for personal growth through enriching, empowering and educational programs to women, children, adults and youth of all ages, races, faiths, backgrounds, abilities and income levels. As an affiliate of the world-wide YWCA and the YWCA USA, the YWCA of Queens also shares the bold global vision of empowering women and eliminating racism. A consistent catalyst for change in the community, the organization is a provider of choice for new immigrants.
Each year, the YWCA of Queens provides services benefiting nearly 12,000 community members through a variety of programs including UPK, Summer Day Camp, ESOL, GED, and Workforce Development. Y Evergreen Care, a licensed (by NYS DOH) home Care program, we employee and serve over 300 families daily. With an operating budget of three million dollars, the YW seeks an Executive Director who can provide leadership to both YWCA core programs and Y Evergreen Care, Inc.
Mission, Vision and Strategy
- Work collaboratively with the board, staff and key stakeholders to identify and achieve the organization’s strategic goals.
- Consistently promote the mission of the YWCA of Queens and build support for its
- programs and initiatives.
- Develop and oversee community advocacy strategies consistent with
- the organization's mission.
- Foster and maintain an organization-wide atmosphere and workplace culture that is
- consistent with the vision, values, and mission of the YWCA of Queens.
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop financially viable programs and inform board members of the overall fiscal status of the agency.
- Ensure that consistent input from constituents is used in ongoing program development.
- Lead efforts to develop, implement and evaluate a multi-year integrated fundraising plan using multiple funding sources.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with individual donors, foundations, corporate groups and government funders.
- Create long and short term organizational fiscal goals and policies.
- Work with staff/Finance Committee to develop and monitor the agency’s budget and report to the board.
- Supervise/oversee all fiscal activity and financial staff.
- Develop and maintain appropriate operating systems, structures and processes that will serve to enhance organizational functioning.
- Hire and mange agency staff; and ensure agency-wide staff development and quality supervision.
- Establish and monitor effective personnel systems to support and motivate staff.
- Attend and actively participate board meetings, committee meetings and other board related meetings.
- Support and develop ongoing board development.
- Provide information and guidance to the board on community needs to facilitate in making informed decisions.
- Work with the staff to establish sound working relationships with
- community groups and partner organizations.
- Oversee the development of a strategic communications plan in order
- to maintain agency visibility in the community, media and the
- general public.
- Publicize and promote the mission of the YWCA of Queens, its programs and
- Ability to communicate with tact and cultural/social sensitivity to diverse audiences.
- Enjoy networking and making friends for the organization and serve as an articulate and compelling ambassador for the YWCA of Queens.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, with health and retirement plan/benefits.
- Masters degree in related field (Public Administration, Business Administration, Social Work, Education, MPH) or equivalent experience.
- Proven ability to plan and execute fundraising strategies that utilize a range of funding sources.
- Experience in managing all aspects of non-profit operations including program planning and development, creating and maintaining a budget, and public relations.
- Federal/State/City funding experience a plus.
- Advanced leadership skills and public policy advocacy experience.
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills.
- Strong communication skills in Korean (desired).
Send your resume, cover letter and a 3-5 page writing sample to Jennifer Kang, YWCA of Queens Board President, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Executive Director” in the subject line of your email.