Posted on January 12, 2013
Asante Africa Foundation
Asante Africa Foundation - Development Manager
Asante Africa Foundation is a nonprofit organization that believes in the power of knowledge as a catalyst to help young people create a future where they can live their potential. We partner with local leaders to create safe healthy learning environments, strengthen teacher quality and enhance learning, and provide scholarships and leadership training. We know that enriched minds collectively create better solutions to whatever challenges their communities face. Asante Africa is poised for multi-country growth and tremendous in-country impact and seeks a seasoned development professional to lead our fundraising strategy.
The Relationship and Development Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing a multi-year development strategy which enables Asante Africa Foundation to fulfill its mission. Key responsibilities include cultivating and stewarding a donor base, managing gift giving database, identifying private foundation and corporate partnerships and building strategic relationships. Growing the corporate and larger organization portfolio of donors will be the immediate priority.
This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and works closely with board members, donors, volunteers and the development team. This position will be a contract position with a specific work plan and detailed deliverables.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Candidate will be intimately involved with the CEO and development committee in refining and implementing an annual fundraising plan. This plan will include strategies and approaches to generate different levels of giving.
Drive the strategy and direction around the cultivation, stewardship and solicitation of corporate underwriting, grants and gifts as well as family foundations and organizational donors aimed at identifying new donors as well as building a base of loyal donors.
Conduct risk analysis and balance time-cost ratios to ensure Asante Africa Foundation chooses the most appropriate fundraising activities with the highest chance of success.
Strategically engage and leverage the time of senior leaders to support relationship building and ensure fundraising targets are met.
Work jointly with the CFO to monitor income and expenditure against the budget allocated and the target that has been determined. Use Salesforce.com metrics to demonstrate performance and upward trending of objectives being met.
Represent Asante Africa Foundation at speaking events, fundraising events and in donor cultivation meetings as appropriate.
Lead and manage the development team, including budgeting and evaluation of gifting projects. Lead and supervise a volunteer staff in the effective implementation of a variety of fundraising activities, including preparation of high-quality grant proposals, reports and donor communications and the execution of fundraising events.
Design and deliver reports that engage and inform members of the senior management team and the Board committee in the work and progress of the development function.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required, as well as 5+ years of demonstrated success building and leading the development function in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial non-profit organization.
- Substantial experience designing and implementing comprehensive fundraising plans for all funding streams including major gifts, corporate, foundation, and annual giving; successful track record of raising funds with a growth track over time; knowledge of foundation grant funding and capital campaigns is a plus.
- Must have substantial experience engaging corporate philanthropy professionals and proven track record securing multi-year gifts.
- Excellent leadership, management and organizational skills, including the ability to motivate, recruit and retain volunteers and staff.
- Ability to effectively engage senior staff and Board of Directors in solicitation and cultivation activities.
- Experience creating content for social media (e.g. Facebook) and on-line media partner sites, driving web site traffic by optimizing Google adwords, etc.
- Knowledge of fundraising software such as Salesforce or Razors Edge.
- Passionate commitment to Asante Africa Foundation’s mission, vision and strategic direction; experience in international development a plus.
- Exceptional communication skills, with proven ability to write effectively, speak persuasively and to listen to and learn from others with a sense of inquisitiveness.
- Intellectual agility, high professional standards, and demonstrated ability to think strategically and execute on multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to thrive in an environment characterized as fast-paced, creative, dynamic, and growing.
PLEASE SEND FOLLOWING TO ASANTE AFRICA FOUNDATION
ATTN: Erna Grasz, CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line : Development Manager
Current CV / resume / and salary history. Candidates who do not provide salary history will not be considered.
Letter of Interest describing why you will be the best candidate for our organization from the many candidates who will apply for this position
3 references – 1 superior/boss , 1 peer/colleague and 1 subordinate/employee