Posted on January 11, 2013
Chief of Staff
Calvert Foundation - Chief of Staff
This Chief of Staff position requires a highly detail-oriented individual with strong administrative and execution skills, who is professionally mature, highly motivated, and able to work effectively with internal and external partners. He/she will have the management responsibility to ensure that the Chief Executive Officer is efficiently and consistently well prepared (i.e. travel, meetings, speeches, presentations); and possess the intellectual ability to support and contribute to various
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the Chief Executive Officer’s travel, meeting, and conference agenda and logistics; including any preliminary research, preparing briefing packages/talking points, speech outlines and provides the necessary meeting materials and travel arrangements.
- Schedules, prepares and briefs CEO for all meetings; prepares and briefs CEO for Senior Leadership Team meetings and one-offs with other Senior Leadership Team members; and attends meetings and briefings on behalf of the CEO, when appropriate (e.g. research briefings). Ensures quality control for all of CEO communications (staff, board, and external).
- Coordinates and manages Senior Leadership Team meetings; sets agenda and ensures timely follow-up. Coordinates information flow from Senior Leadership Team and ensures pertinent information is received by CEO, as needed. Promotes work of Senior Leadership Team internally to build understanding and increase coordination and integration.
- Defines, organizes, guides, coordinates, and monitors the work of the Senior Leadership Team leadership team and the CEO’s core office with particular attention to constraints for time and quality/scope. Promotes work of Senior Leadership Team internally to build understanding and increase coordination and integration. Communicates regularly with Senior Leadership Team to ensure enterprise alignment and support.
- Assists in building and maintaining external relationships that can help advance Senior Leadership Team agenda; recommends and facilitates one-on-one meetings and coordinates appropriate affiliations, e.g. membership groups, societies, etc. working with Senior Leadership Team.
- Conducts follow-up from meetings and conversations; maintains contacts and database entries; responsible for coordinating any communications that goes through the CEO’s office.
- Anticipates the needs of the CEO and successfully manages daily operations of the executive office. Manages multiple complex departmental/company-wide projects and schedules necessary meetings.
- Assists CEO and Senior Leadership Team with Board communications and presentations; handles all Board meeting logistics; recommends topics for committee and full board meetings and works with Calvert Foundation staff to prepare for those meetings; recommends and writes additional communication to board, as necessary; and provides expertise on each board members and their various interests and how they impact Calvert Foundation and the CEO specifically. Prepares briefs, reports, and analysis, and compiles Board Book on behalf of CEO.
- Manages consultants, contractors, interns, and temporary staff who directly support the CEO.
Requirements and Key Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- 8-12 years of experience working in a fast-paced, professional setting, managing meeting and schedule management, including experience in administration, or an equivalent combination of training and professional experience related to the duties of the position.
- Action orientation. A decisive, quick study with proven ability to accurately analyze information, identify key trends, and complete strategic operations.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and planning skills and the ability to communicate strategic plans to team and others. A bottom-line orientation and a proven track record of exceeding goals. Substantial and successful management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data, to prepare concise summaries, and to provide sound recommendations related to extremely complex issues.
- Excellent oral/written communication, presentation, and organizational skills. Excellent with follow-up and attention to detail. Excellent interpersonal and partnership development skills.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion; demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability and the ability to achieve high performance goals/meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly resourceful team-player, self-confident. Ability to provide constructive input and negotiation on behalf of the CEO. Ability to set boundaries and manage expectations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, Social Media web platforms, and Sales Force.
- Familiarity with basic budgeting, accounting, and finance practices and principles. Experience in the financial sector and/or supporting an executive in the financial sector would be a bonus.
Interested candidates should email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line, or mail to Calvert Foundation at 7315 Wisconsin Avenue Suite 1100W, Bethesda, MD 20814. No phone calls please.