Posted on January 10, 2013
Senior Vice President of Development and Communications
END Fund - Senior Vice President of Development and Communications
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Chief Executive Officer and liaises with the Board of Directors regarding fundraising opportunities.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The END Fund is a private philanthropic fund with a singular focus – to reduce the burden of the most prevalent neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) among the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people. Currently, over one billion people globally are at risk for these diseases, with a disproportionate number of children affected and over 90 percent of the burden in Africa. The END Fund has a goal of treating over 50 million people over the next five years for NTDs. The END Fund accomplishes this by:
- Mobilizing and directing resources to where they can have maximum impact;
- Advocating for innovative, integrated and cost-effective NTD programs; and
- Facilitating private sector engagement in the movement to address the devastating effects of NTDs.
The END Fund grew out of an impassioned initiative led by the Legatum Foundation and Geneva Global in 2007 that created a groundbreaking, integrated, multi-year NTD treatment program in Rwanda and Burundi. Building upon this successful venture, the END Fund was created in 2011 to bring these programs to scale and reach other at-risk populations in sub-Saharan Africa.
In its short existence, the END Fund has attracted leading funders including the Gates Foundation, the Campbell Family Foundation, Dubai Cares, the Legatum Foundation and other high-profile corporate, individual and foundation funders. To date, the END Fund and its partners have treated over 10 million people, delivering over 50 million treatments. The END Fund has a special emphasis on sub-Saharan Africa and has grown to support NTD programs in ten countries in this region: Angola, Burundi, Central African Republic, Kenya, Mali, Liberia, Mali, Namibia, Rwanda, and Zimbabwe.
In April 2012, Ellen Agler took the helm as the first Chief Executive Officer of the END Fund. Ms. Agler is a recognized and respected leader and advocate for global health policy and programming. With the full support of the Board, partners and funders, Ms. Agler is poised to move the organization into its next phase, actively expanding its reach in New York City and beyond with a community of visionary and engaged philanthropists, foundations and corporations committed to ushering in a healthier and more prosperous future for Africa.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Senior Vice President of Development and Communications will lead, develop and implement a fundraising strategy for the END Fund to achieve its ambitious goals. Working closely with the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors, he/she will be responsible for identifying, engaging and managing philanthropic, corporate and foundation funds, especially in fostering positive relationships with the private sector and high net worth funding community.
The END Fund is poised for continued strong growth, having already raised over $20 million in its first year to tackle these diseases. This position provides a unique opportunity to serve as an architect and hands-on builder of an entrepreneurial and global fundraising initiative that integrates branding, communications and awareness into the development outreach and END Fund value proposition.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the principal development and communications officer and oversee fundraising programs, marketing, and communications;
- Design and implement a roadmap to complete the resource mobilization goal of $100 million for the END Fund over the next 5 years;
- Identify, cultivate and solicit gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations;
- Develop and maintain high-level donor relationships consistent with the END Fund’s philanthropic strategy;
- Create and coordinate a structured stewardship plan as well as design a compelling donor experience through communications and field visits;
- Drive grant application strategy and draft proposals, along with ensuring complete compliance and reporting; and
- Maintain and maximize the use of the END Fund’s database and all other strategic grant management tools.
Board Relations, Communications and Management
- Engage and direct the Board of Directors regarding fundraising to maintain and build a strong, productive and motivated Board.
- Work with the Chief Executive Officer to strategically build and grow the Development and Communications department; hire, supervise and manage the team and all external consultants, interns and volunteers;
- Oversee and partner with the Director of Marketing and Communications to enhance the END Fund’s brand and convey compelling, market-based messages to philanthropic contacts; and
- Represent the END Fund at relevant industry events, meetings and other functions.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The END Fund seeks a strategic, entrepreneurial and motivated development executive to lead, grow and drive all fundraising and communications efforts. This seasoned and innovative fundraiser will be able to connect with and clearly articulate a market-based, metrics-driven approach to funding. The Senior Vice President of Development and Communications will be a creative, ambitious and resourceful leader, able to translate vision into action by motivating others and driving the agenda forward. He/she will strive for excellence, be committed to hard work, take ownership of the program for all things large and small, and be a strong team player.
Professional Experience includes:
- Significant senior level fundraising experience with demonstrated ability to grow a program;
- Successful track record of mobilizing resources with proven ability to personally identify, cultivate and solicit major gifts from high-net worth private donors, foundations and corporations;
- Ability to engage, manage and motivate a committed, high-caliber Board of Directors across the globe;
- Effective communicator; dynamic, articulate and persuasive both verbally and in writing, including grant-writing;
- Strategic organization and relationship builder, especially with organizations and stakeholders who have a global perspective; and
- Strong computer and social media skills, including database management.
Personal Attributes include:
- Strategic and tenacious about achieving objectives, utilizing a proactive, entrepreneurial and energetic mindset to develop and execute a variety of fundraising and communications activities;
- Motivated by a hands-on, fast-paced and results-oriented culture;
- Poised and sophisticated, with the style, stature and savvy to represent the organization to diverse audiences domestically and internationally;
- Strong business acumen with the independence, integrity and work ethic to effectively drive this initiative; and
- Passionate about international issues and public health with demonstrated cultural sensitivity.
Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in relevant field preferred.
Domestic and international travel expected, approximately 25-40%.
Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes a competitive benefits package.
The END Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please email cover letter and resume in confidence to:
Sandler Search Associates
880 Third Avenue, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10022
Web site: www.sandlerassociates.org