Posted on January 7, 2013
Project Inform - Development Director
Project Inform is respected for 28 years of assertive leadership to speed dozens of safe and effective HIV medications to market, educate hundreds of thousands of HIV-positive individuals about HIV care and treatment, and ensure access to quality, affordable health care services for the sickest and poorest people with HIV. Today, we are also fighting to end the hepatitis C epidemic, which affects over 3.5 million people in the US, including one-quarter of the nation's 1.2 million HIV-positive people.
The Development Director is responsible for the strategic vision and planning of Project Inform's fundraising efforts, and for the successful implementation of those plans. The Director is also responsible for the strategic vision and planning of Project Inform's communications strategy, and for overseeing the implementation of that strategy. The Director serves as a member of the agency's Leadership Team, which is responsible for stewardship and success of the agency.
- Develops and implements a long-term strategic vision and plan for development that assures growth in the revenue of the agency and increases its capacity to achieve its mission.
- Creates an annual development plan and cash-flow analysis as part of the annual budget development process.
- Provides strategic and creative leadership of the Development Department and its staff.
- Oversees all development activities, including major events, individual giving programs, corporate and foundation relations, government grants and donor services operations.
- Establishes and strengthens relationships with existing donors and the greater community, both personally and as part of an organizational effort.
- Seeks an builds relationships with new foundation, corporate, individual and government funding sources, both personally and as part of an organizational effort.
- Personally solicits and secures large, corporate, foundation and individual gifts and government grants and assures that Development Department staff members are also soliciting and securing gifts.
- Designs and implements creative and comprehensive acquisition, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for major donors.
- Develops a comprehensive program to market Project Inform to philanthropic supporters.
- Oversees the design and maintenance of the donor services database and constituent relations management system, including processing, acknowledgement, accounting and regulatory requirements for all contributions.
- Explores and executes opportunities to utilize technology and innovative fundraising tools to increase revenue and enhance overall donor experience with agency fundraising and program initiatives.
- Provides strategic and creative leadership and oversight of communications activities, including development of clear long- and short-term strategic plans, and assures successful implementation of those plans by convening the Communications Team.
- Demonstrates knowledge and support of Project Inform's mission, ends, values and programs through public speaking engagements and other outreach activities.
- Maintains a close working relationship with the Board of Directors to leverage their ability to support development and communications efforts, and meets regularly with the Development Committee of the Board of Directors to ensure alignment of objectives.
- Assures a strong volunteer structure to support success of the agency's development and communications plans.
- Serves as a member of the Leadership Team and assumes responsibility for overall stewardship and success of the agency.
- Attends select meetings of the Program Team to understand the programmatic goals and activities of the agency and in order to make strategic plans and decisions regarding development and communications efforts.
- Develops an agency budget in conjunction with the Leadership Team and the Board; manage to agreed upon budget.
- Serves as a member of the staff Finance Committee to carefully monitor the revenue, expenses and cash flow of the agency and assure revenue collection.
- Works collaboratively across agency departments to execute plans and build internal relationships.
- Performs market research and analysis, as necessary, to identify sources and approaches to meet objectives.
- Maintains knowledge about the state of the HIV and hepatitis C epidemics and health care issues more broadly.
- At least 5 years of professional fundraising experience (3 years at the director level); nonprofit experience required.
- Demonstrated excellence in assuring strategic direction of fund development and communications activities.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational and staff management, fund development, communications, public relations and leadership activities.
- Demonstrated success in securing funding through a wide variety of fund development programs, including large events, major gifts, annual giving, direct mail, corporate/foundation solicitation, and government grants.
- Strong experience in organizing, coordinating and motivating groups of volunteers required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and management skills.
- Advanced computer skills and experience with donor databases that support effective solicitation strategies and communications.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to HIV/AIDS and hepatitis C issues strongly preferred.
- Ability to work comfortably with diverse populations
Submit your cover letter, resume, credentials that articulates your experience as it relates to our needs.