Posted on January 6, 2013
New Haven Symphony Orchestra
New Haven Symphony Orchestra - Development Director
The Development Director is responsible for building the capacity of the New Haven Symphony Orchestra by overseeing a comprehensive year-round fundraising program. A member of the senior management team reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director plans, implements, manages, and evaluates all fundraising activities related to maintaining and growing earned income to ensure the financial stability of the NHSO.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all fundraising initiatives to achieve annualy budgeted goals ($1.2 million for FY2013). Efforts include annual fund, corporate sponsorship, foundation and government grants, trusts management, planned giving, endowment campaign, special events, in-kind donations, and special projects.
- Assist the Executive Director and the Board of Directors in establishing annual and long-range goals, budgets, projections, and plans for all fundraising campaigns and initiatives. Provide monthly reports and financial statements.
- Maintain ongoing relationships with current donors, sponsors, funders, and business and community leaders. Develop new prospects in each category.
- Work closely with the Board, and in particular the Development Committee, to continuously research, cultivate, and solicit new sources of revenue.
- Direct development staff, interns, and volunteers in all fundraising endeavors.
- Recruit committee members for fundraising campaigns and special events.
- Supervise and complete grant applications and sponsorship proposals, acknowledgement of gifts, and tendering of required reports and follow-up.
- Monitor fulfillment of donor and sponsor benefits, events, and recognition.
- Oversee maintenance of donor files and records and the timeliness of donor communications.
- Manage creation and production of print and electronic fundraising materials.
- Research new opportunities for arts funding at the local, state, and national levels.
- Work with the Board and volunteers to plan fundraising events and benefits, including an annual Gala, and oversee the execution of each event. Coordiante auctions and raffles to supplement each event.
- Represent the NHSO by attending civic and cultural events in the community and making presentations as requested.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum seven years of direct fundraising experience. Proven leadership and success in development areas of campaigns, donor cultivation, membership development, grant writing, and organizational coordination.
- Knowledge of laws related to donations, financial planning, and IRS regulations. Strong commitment to fundraising ethics.
- Familiarity with database management tools such as Raiser’s Edge. Superb communication skills, both written and oral.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to cultivate strong interpersonal relationships and to articulate the NHSO’s mission to a wide range of audiences in a variety of ways.
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively with a dedicated team.
Hours and Compensation
This is a full-time position with competitive benefits. Some evening/weekend hours required. Positive and flexible team environment. Salary commensurate with experience.
Submit a resume and cover letter detailing experience with the requirements described above to:
Development Director Search
New Haven Symphony Orchestra
105 Court Street, Suite 302
New Haven, CT 06511