Posted on January 3, 2013
Vice President, External Relations and Communications
National YoungArts Foundation
National YoungArts Foundation - Vice President, External Relations and Communications
Position is responsible for leading the development and implementation of creative and effective communications efforts to meet short and long-term goals.
The position will join YoungArts at a critical juncture as the organization increases its programming and launches a new home base in Miami. The VP of External Relations & Communications will work closely with the senior management team to expand the organization’s activities in regions such as New York and Los Angeles.
Essential Job Functions
Public Relations & Marketing
- Has oversight over all internal and external communications for organization.
- Directs and develops all strategic aspects of communications (internal and external) to align messaging, increase visibility, and effectively position the organization as the national leader in the development of young artists.
- Oversees all organizational external relations efforts and works to ensure that the YoungArts brand, desired image and position is protected, maintained and elevated in the public’s eye.
- Develops clear, consistent and compelling message platform for organization that speaks to all of YoungArts’ audiences and embodies the “YoungArts spirit.”
- Develops strategic short- and long-term public relations and marketing initiatives.
- Promotes YoungArts, its programs and alumni to target audiences through local, regional and national campaigns.
- Manage all media policies and messages.
- Guides the organization through an institutional rebranding effort.
- Manages the organization’s website, graphic design, and publications programs, including an annual report.
- Manages continued phase development for website with organizational priorities.
- Oversees audit of organizational collateral and message. Consistently researches new and innovative opportunities to position organization through print, digital and collaborative initiatives.
- Provides key statistics for organization and develops talking points and messages.
- Ensures President, Board members and other ambassadors have talking points and remarks as needed, and handles communications for President as needed.
- Builds ongoing public support for YoungArts programming, including performances, exhibitions and television.
- Works with creative partners to promote HBO “YoungArts Masterclass” program.
- Sustains and expands the organization’s varied audiences.
- Provides and delivers communications strategy and collateral support to promote all organizational special events.
- Ensures crises management plan is in place for organization.
- Manages the work of marketing and public relations consultants.
- Serves as spokesperson (after President and when requested) for organization.
Partnerships & Sponsorships
- Develops and oversees strategy for media partnerships (nationally/NYC, MIA).
- Works in tandem with the Development and Programs departments to garner recognition for programs and sponsorships
- Develops and helps implement and manage strategy for national and community-based partnerships and affiliations. Ensures all existing partnerships are clearly defined, provide a positive platform for the YoungArts brand and serve core YoungArts audiences and priorities. Ensures partnerships are highlighted as appropriate on website and in collateral and communications materials.
- Includes Affirmation Arts, American Ballet Theatre, Americans for the Arts, Baryshnikov Arts Center, HBO, John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, MTV, The Phillips Collection, Presidential Scholars, Smithsonian, and others.
- Develops and directs national recruitment strategy for annual YoungArts application. Oversees team and appropriate consultants on distribution of collateral annually. Reports and analyze recruitment results
- Oversees departmental budget.
Position requires a four-year degree in any relevant discipline (advanced degree preferred) and not less than 10 years of experience in leading the communications team for a national nonprofit or arts organization. Position also requires strong computer skills including internet research and Microsoft Office applications including database management. Position also requires the following abilities:
- Must have advanced interpersonal and communication (written and oral) and presentation skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and deliver work product within strict time demands.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently on several projects simultaneously.
- Must have demonstrated planning and assessment skills, and strong leadership skills including consensus-building, conflict resolution, motivation and decision-making
- Must have ability to think strategically and have a broad and long-range view of the organization’s direction.
We offer an extraordinary compensation and benefits package including 100% employer paid medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance along with generous paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick and personal time) and a 100% matched 401(k) Plan with no vesting requirement.
- Walk, bend, lift (up to 25 pounds) including files, office supplies and electronic equipment
- Finger dexterity to pick up paper and use computer keyboard
- Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading
- Ability to hear in normal tones including telephone and face-to-face conversation
Visit us on the web at www.youngarts.org