Posted on December 24, 2012
World Society for the Protection of Animals
World Society for the Protection of Animals - Communications Associate
The World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) has an ambitious strategy to create a world where animal welfare matters and animal cruelty has ended – and we are seeking talented and passionate individuals to join our team and help us reach this goal. WSPA is the world’s largest international animal welfare organization, and continues to grow. Across our 15 international offices, we are developing programs and launching campaigns that will improve the lives of millions of animals worldwide.
In the U.S., we have opened a new office in New York City, and joining our team is an exciting opportunity to be involved on the ground floor of a stellar team of nonprofit professionals with the backing of an established world-class global organization.
WSPA has an exciting, entry-level opportunity for an energetic self-starter to join our marketing and communications team as a Communications Associate. WSPA USA recently launched a five-year campaign promoting cage-free eggs, and in 2013 will implement a global rebranding effort. These are just two of the many projects for which the Communications Associate will provide support. Under the direction of the U.S. Communications Manager, the Communications Associate will play a key role in supporting all of the organization’s traditional and digital marketing/communications plans for WSPA USA, including social media, media relations, internal communications, marketing materials development, fundraising support and reporting. The Communications Associate will have excellent writing and creative skills that will enhance the efforts of a growing, enthusiastic team of professionals.
- Work across departments to develop communications content. Ensure internal/external message consistency.
- Aggregate and develop Facebook & Twitter content for organizational platforms. Perform ongoing analysis and reporting of efforts on social media. Recommend new platforms, or enhancements to existing platforms, and help develop forward-looking social media strategies and tactics.
- Assist with drafting press materials, blogs, talking points, data-gathering and fact-checking.
- Provide media relations research (outlet, briefs, post interview)
- Manage the development of communication materials, utilizing organizational branding guidelines - from stationery and biannual newsletter to signage and presentations.
- Maintain local database of communication vendors (including printers, video production houses, agencies, designers).
- Coordinate and organize local, regional and global Communications meetings as directed by US Communications Manager, US Executive Director, or North American Regional Marketing & Communications Director.
- Conduct research and administrative projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Communications Manager.
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least one (1) year of communications experience required.
- Team player with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills; both written and verbal.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and problem-solve.
- Able to work independently while comfortable as part of a national/regional/global multi-disciplinary team.
- Committed to animal welfare issues.
- Knowledge of AP Style.
- Knowledge of Adobe platforms.
For more than 30 years, WSPA has brought relief and protection to millions of animals across the world. Today, working in more than 50 countries, WSPA continues to collaborate with local communities, NGOs and governments to change animals’ lives for the better. WSPA also acts for animals at a global level, using the organization’s United Nations consultative status to give animals a voice. If you have the qualifications for this particular role, and share WSPA’s passion for animal welfare, please let us know of your interest by applying below:
Please send a cover letter including salary requirements, and your resume, to: email@example.com. For consideration HR24-COMMASSOC must be in the subject line. Applications without salary requirements may not be considered. No phone calls, please. Position will remain open until filled. WSPA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.