Posted on December 23, 2012
REDF - Communications Manager
The Communications Manager is the creative strategist who delivers communications, marketing campaigns, and public relations content for REDF. A fundamental role is the development and execution of an annual communications and marketing plan that increases REDFs visibility among the key stakeholders it seeks to influence: business, government, philanthropy, and nonprofits. He or she will collaborate extensively with REDF’s fund development team to maximize the engagement of individual donors and institutional supporters resulting in increased support. The role also includes managing user-experience, design and weekly content updates for REDF’s website and overseeing our social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) strategy and content development. Tracking and reporting metrics for all communications channels, and developing new strategies based on data in order to improve results, will be critical.
He or she will engage in face-to-face meetings with the executive team and other opinion formers to develop print and web-based communications. You will act as a strategic partner, thoughtfully piecing together pitch ideas or weaving related materials into the larger business picture. She or he must believe in the mission of REDF, and embrace the central importance of work to improve the lives of individuals facing barriers to employment.
An ideal candidate will have prior relevant experience in driving all aspects of communications and marketing including, but not limited to brand strategy, media relations, executive speaking opportunities, internal communications programs, vendor endorsements, and managing all aspects of public relations activities around events and major announcements. He or she is comfortable devising specific communications materials and campaigns to meet both internal and external needs and has proven knowledge of web usability and search optimization practices, in-depth understanding of web features, functionality and potential uses. She or he stays current with technological innovations and changes in the way people use and respond to electronic communications. Additional consideration will be given to candidates that possess exposure/experience with knowledge management systems and Salesforce.
This position reports to the Managing Director Public and Private Partnerships
See What a Job Can Do
REDF creates jobs that change lives. For individuals facing life’s greatest barriers, access to gainful employment can seem impossible. REDF has pioneered a venture philanthropy model to employ those who are overcoming chronic poverty, homelessness, criminal history, substance abuse or mental illness by investing in nonprofit-run businesses called ‘social enterprises.’
Since 1997, REDF (The Roberts Enterprise Development Fund) has provided funding and business assistance to a portfolio of social enterprises and has helped employ more than 6,700 people in two of the most diverse regions of the country – the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles. Now we’re taking our model to scale and working across our state’s innovative business environment. We will create jobs for thousands more Californians while developing a replicable social enterprise model to bring adults and young people into the economic mainstream throughout the country. In order to accomplish these ambitious goals, REDF is embarking on a significant fundraising effort.
- Plan and implement a comprehensive annual marketing and communications plan for REDF that includes online and offline media to promote REDF’s mission and organizational goals
- In collaboration with the fund development team, develop messaging and content specifically targeting REDF’s donor and prospective donor audience—including institutional funders—coordinated around cultivation and solicitation activities
- Manage REDF’s online presence (e.g. website and social media) for content, brand consistency, searchability, and function.
- Serve as the key staff liaison to the Communications sub-committee of the REDF Advisory Council; engage committee members in strategic projects to optimize their specific communications and marketing expertise
- Create content for external dissemination through traditional and online media outlets
- Manage the production and publication of quarterly newsletters and monthly electronic email via our communication platform (Vertical Response) to maximize its potential.
- Maintain and maximize the use of Google applications: Google Analytics, Grant (Adwords), and website placement and monitor keyword search effectiveness.
- Employ user-tracking data to develop segmentation strategies
- Explore relationships with partner organizations for resource and news feeds.
- Respond to website inquiries.
- Create and maintain REDF style guide; ensure brand consistency in communications
- Research and identify outreach opportunities to traditional media
- Implement REDF’s protocol for capturing and disseminating stories from social enterprise employees and others
- Manage external communications consultants
- Assess the unique PR potential for REDF campaigns, devise a dynamic and creative PR strategy, and execute on that strategy with consistent and measurable results
- Manage the production of marketing materials for conferences and presentations.
- Work with events management to determine where REDF should have visibility at annual conferences and events and manage REDF’s presence at booth
- Lead all aspects of REDF’s branding—including a potential renaming of the organization—as it moves from a regional, to statewide, to a national organization
- Develop and maintain a flexible, functional marketing “kit” for REDF that includes print and online collateral
- Lead the design of a new business system for REDF consistent with the organization’s brand and image and flexible for both print and electronic use
- Maintain portfolio contact list and listserves; distribute contact list quarterly
- Participate in development-related activities as appropriate
- Update and maintain REDF’s intranet and other document organization systems
- Collaborate with IT staff and consultants to troubleshoot technology
Education and Work Experience: BA/BS degree - Experience: Five years of related experience with hands-on experience in public relations, communications, or marketing.
Skills and Abilities:
- She or he has proven expertise in designing internal and external communications and communications planning, strategic communications, corporate communications, messaging and message development, employee engagement communications, and web content development
- Effective written and oral communication; well-developed interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to serve as a unifying force for coordination of communications activities, leveraging full participation and contributions to content from stakeholders
- Ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate final products to appropriate multi-stakeholder audiences.
- Strong writing, proofreading and copy-editing skills.
- Strong project management, time management and organizational skills; detail-oriented
- Skill working with Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Wordpress, CMS software and document scanners.
- Experience using and understanding Google applications: Analytics and AdWords to maximize potential<
Position is considered sedentary and no unusual physical requirements are necessary to perform most daily tasks. Position requires extended period of sitting, with much of the work done at a computer workstation and telephone. Certain computer applications, programs, and documents may require an ability to differentiate colors, shapes, and symbols.
Position requires the ability to drive an automobile independently (must have a valid CA driver’s license).
- Ability to help craft REDF’s next 15 years of impact
- Work with passionate, dedicated people
- Apply your passion for social change in your career
- Operate with a high degree of autonomy in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package
Please submit resume and cover letter as one file through REDF’s online applicant portal.
Visit our website for additional job opportunities with REDF or with an organization in our portfolio.
REDF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its relations with staff members and prospective employees, and will not discriminate against applicants for employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sex, or sexual orientation. REDF encourages employment applications from people who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities REDF serves.