Posted on January 18, 2013
Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington
Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington - Grant Writer
Primary responsibilities include preparation of proposals and grant applications, performance of responsible professional work in researching, identifying, developing, and responding to potential public and private grant opportunities Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing and computer skills (Microsoft Office Word, Access, PowerPoint and Excel), and database management skills, including DonorPerfect. The successful candidate must be highly organized, able to work effectively independently and produce a quality work product within tight time constraints. Previous experience will include a proven track record in securing new funding opportunities; comprehensive knowledge of research, and the ability to distinguish and identify funding opportunities for special programs. Work is performed under the broad direction of the Director of Foundations and Government Relations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Researches and identifies new government and private funding prospects
- Assists the Director of Government and Foundations Grants with the organization’s grants management program.
- Identifies funding opportunities and new program areas to match institutional priorities using research tools.
- Works closely with the Director of Government and Foundations Grants to determine funding strategies and submit funding requests—developing grant proposals for solicitation to potential funding sources.
- Coordinates with BGCGW club staff to obtain specific program information needed for successful grant application and submissions.
- Establishes and maintains on-going relationships with BGCGW staff as related to private foundation, corporate and government funding opportunities.
- Continuously reviews funding resource publications for grant funding tips and modifies future grant applications accordingly.
- Responsible for conducting proactive research, including on-line activities to identify new and potential grant funding sources from local and nationally based private foundations, corporate foundations, and local and federal government agencies.
- Ensures that the most recent required documentation is utilized whenever grants and proposals are submitted.
- Engages with program officers at organizations to solicit invitations to submit proposals
To perform this job successfully, the successful candidate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Four-year degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years experience in foundation and government grant writing.
- Knowledge of grant application process and writing of applications.
- Experience with the grants process in a non-profit environment desired. Proficiency in the use of DonorPerfect required.
- Ability to participate as a team player to coordinate grant projects.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principals, cost recovery through grant budgeting.
- Ability to develop, write and implement strategic plans and ability to provide necessary documentation to support grant requirements.
- Demonstrated competence in data analysis, data collection, and data presentation
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and coordinate multiple projects.
- Ability to gather, analyze, and evaluate a variety of data.
- Working knowledge of budget preparation, control, and management.
- Ability to travel when required for research and training.
This position is primarily sedentary in the Washington DC office with occasional overnight travel and may require some bending and lifting.
Requires the ability to speak, hear, and use a personal computer for standard business communications.
Interested individuals must submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples uploaded as one document to:https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=3378761