Posted on March 12, 2013
Associate Manager, Development Communications
StoryCorps - Associate Manager, Development Communications
StoryCorps is an independent nonprofit whose mission is to provide Americans of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share, and preserve the stories of our lives. Founded in 2003 by radio documentary producer and MacArthur Fellow Dave Isay, StoryCorps has recorded and archived over 40,000 interviews from more than 70,000 participants. Each conversation is recorded on a free CD to share, and is preserved at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress.
StoryCorps is one of the largest oral history projects of its kind. We have visited all 50 states, partnered with hundreds of community organizations across the country, and earned two Peabody Awards (including a rare Institutional Peabody Award), the highest honor in broadcast journalism. Millions listen to our weekly broadcasts on NPR’s Morning Edition, our weekly podcasts on iTunes, and the stories posted on the Listen pages of our website. Our animations have been featured on PBS’s flagship documentary series POV and the YouTube homepage and were nominated for an Emmy. Our three books, Listening Is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps Project, Mom: A Celebration of Mothers from StoryCorps, and All There Is: Love Stories from StoryCorps, were New York Times B estsellers.
In the coming years, we hope to build StoryCorps into an enduring institution that will touch the lives of every American family. To learn more about our services, produced works, and special initiatives, and to listen to participant stories, visit www.storycorps.org.
The Associate Manager, Development Communications will work closely with senior leadership in the External Relations division to implement fundraising and communication strategies as they relate to the acquisition, renewal and stewardship of annual donors and interview participants.
He or she will be responsible for donor communications including e-blasts, direct marketing, the design and maintenance of welcome packets, general materials and correspondence. In addition he or she will be responsible for all acquisition and renewal campaigns and mailings along with post-campaign analysis.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices — from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. Candidates with experience supporting diversity and social justice-oriented organizations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, pre-tax transit benefits, and paid time off (vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Director of External Relations, the Associate Director, Individual Giving & Special Events, and the Associate Director, Marketing & Communications on long-term planning for Individual Giving programs and the cultivation and stewardship of interview participants
- Oversee direct marketing related to acquiring, renewing, and retaining individual donors
- Draft all donor communications, including but not limited to: mail and email solicitation letters, event invitations and collateral, and alumni communications
- Create and execute online communications campaigns to acquire and renew donors; track results and identify ways to improve revenue returns
- Maintain online giving pages in collaboration with Senior Manager of Information Technology
- Manage external vendor relations for direct response platforms while remaining knowledgeable about emerging information technology trends
- Manage expense budgets related to campaigns and collateral
- Assist in the management of donor premiums
- Write solicitation letters and other donor correspondence as needed
- Perform other duties to support the External Relations division, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 3 years’ development or CRM experience
- At least 2 years’ direct response marketing or fundraising experience, including experience working with mail shops, designers, writers, and printers
- High level of proficiency with Excel, Word, and donor management software systems, such as Raiser's Edge
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and project management skills; adept at working under tight deadlines and managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
Proficiency on a Mac platform
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and “Associate Manager, Development Communications” in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as attachments entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
The position will remain open until filled; please apply early. No calls please.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.