Posted on December 18, 2012
Administrative Assistant to the Research Institute
Asian Art Museum
Asian Art Museum - Administrative Assistant to the Research Institute
The Asian Art Museum has recently established a Research Institute for Asian Art, a new department of the museum designed to deepen scholarship, connoisseurship, and conservation of Asian art. With object-based research as its core activity, the Institute will position the Asian Art Museum at the forefront of new scholarship on Asian Art.
The Asian Art Museum seeks a skilled and motivated individual with strong administrative and coordinating abilities to provide support for the Research Institute. This is a unique opportunity to assist in the setting up of an exciting new department and to gain first-hand experience behind the scenes of a premier arts institution. The nature of the work requires maximum flexibility as the assigned tasks may vary from week to week as projects develop.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Preparing and maintaining operational records of Institute activities; scheduling and coordinating meetings, appointments, symposia, events, and other activities; developing and implementing administrative systems to support program activities
- Making domestic and international travel and schedule arrangements for Senior Research Fellow as well as visiting scholars and museum professionals; coordinating the Visiting Fellowship programs
- Drafting and writing correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other communications; responding to telephone, mail, and e-mail inquiries regarding Institute activities; tracking deadlines; scheduling meetings; assisting in the development of agendas; taking and distributing minutes as required
- Assisting in the assembling of information in preparation for grants and other Institute fundraising initiatives
- Assisting in the preparation and tracking of the Institute budget
- Recording and entering into collections database new information and opinions on collections objects provided by curators and visiting scholars; providing information both verbally and in writing to a wide variety of individuals including museum staff, scholars, donors, collectors, dealers, educators, students, visitors, and others. Checking, updating, and ensuring the consistency of collection records in the collections database; performing data entry, and preparing information for release on e-Museum
- Coordinating the work of volunteers and interns
- B.A. degree plus three (3) years of progressively responsible experience as an administrative assistant; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience; degree in Art History preferred
- Demonstrated high level of administrative skills; extremely organized, detail-oriented, and accurate
- Analytical, research, and problem-solving skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience with grant writing is a plus
- Ability to work independently; determine priorities and follow through on projects; coordinate complex activities; assist in the development and administration of budgets
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, donors, visitors, the general public, and outside organizations and groups
- Ability to plan, assign, monitor the work of volunteers and/or interns
- Good judgment, tact, discretion, and confidentiality; flexibility and resourcefulness
- Solid computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; database experience highly desirable
- Familiarity with Asian art and/or culture through education, travel, or related experience is preferred; Chinese speaking and writing ability a plus
- A current, valid California Driver's license
- Physical ability to handle art
$21.44-25.75/hr (Annualized $44-53K)*
*Please note: 1. New hires start at the beginning of the salary range.
2. The position is represented by SEIU 1021.
Apply online below, at bitly.com/vbijfv
Send a letter of interest and resume ASAP to:
Asian Art Museum
200 Larkin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
*The Asian Art Museum is one of the largest museums in the Western world devoted exclusively to Asian art and culture. Home to more than 17,000 works of art from over 40 Asian countries, we strive to be a catalyst for discovery, dialogue, and inspiration. With Asia as our lens and art as our cornerstone, we spark connections across cultures and through time, igniting curiosity, conversation, and creativity.*
The Asian Art Museum embraces diversity in its mission, programs, and staff.