Posted on December 18, 2012
Visitor Services Assistant
Asian Art Museum
Asian Art Museum - Visitor Services Assistant
The Asian Art Museum is seeking flexible, courteous, reliable, and "people-oriented" individuals to assist the Visitor Services department on an as-needed basis for our upcoming exhibition: China's Terracotta Warriors: The First Emperor's Legacy.
Assignments will vary in hours and frequency, based on operational needs. Exhibition hours are Tuesday through Sunday, 10:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m., with extended hours on some Thursday and other evenings until 9:00 p.m. Please note: we are seeking individuals who have availability on Thursday and other evenings, and weekends. Additional staffing is critical on the first Sunday of each month due to free general admission.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- greet visitors and verify that all people entering the museum have either purchased a ticket or are identified as staff or a special guest;
- assist with directing visitors to and through the proper ticketing lines, managing crowds, taking tickets, and counting visitors;
- monitor special areas within museum as well as queuing areas outside of the museum to ensure smooth visitor flow;
- assist with coat check services;
- sell, dispense and collect multimedia, and other assisted listening devices;
- provide information to visitors, in person or on the telephone;
- perform light clerical/office duties including: answering phones, record maintenance, data entry, filing, and copying;
- Assist with will-call ticketing and telephone based ticket orders;
- Assist with group sales and visits
Assignments will vary in hours and frequency, based on operational needs. Typical shifts will be between the hours of 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Some shifts may include evening hours (until 9:30 p.m.) based on museum schedule and operating needs
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrated commitment to visitor service
- Ability to use good judgment and to respond effectively in handling crowds and waiting lines; remain calm under pressure; display patience, resourcefulness, and courtesy at all times
- Ability to demonstrate a neat and professional appearance to museum visitors
- Ability to deal with public and museum staff, volunteers, and Board members in a polite, helpful, and efficient manner; exercise tact and diplomacy in all interactions
- Ability to communicate, on the telephone and in person, routine information regarding exhibition and museum procedures. Bilingual abilities a plus
- Ability to take direction and perform a variety of light clerical duties
- Ability to work schedules which include evening and weekend hours
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift up to forty (40) lbs.
- Punctual, dependable, and flexible; honest and reliable
$13.84 per hour
* The Asian Art Museum is one of the largest museums in the Western world devoted exclusively to Asian art and culture. Home to more than 17,000 works of art from over 40 Asian countries, we strive to be a catalyst for discovery, dialogue, and inspiration. With Asia as our lens and art as our cornerstone, we spark connections across cultures and through time, igniting curiosity, conversation, and creativity.*
The Asian Art Museum embraces diversity in its mission, programs, and staff.
Apply online below, at bitly.com/TTvOul or
Send a letter of interest and resume ASAP to:
Asian Art Museum
200 Larkin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102