Posted on December 18, 2012
Director, Diversity Initiatives and Talent Retention
Columbia University - Director, Diversity Initiatives and Talent Retention
Reporting to the Deputy Vice President for Operations in the Office of Alumni and Development, the Director for Diversity Initiatives and Talent Retention is responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring the overall diversity strategy for the Office of Alumni and Development. The Director for Diversity Initiatives and Talent Retention will develop key employee retention concepts and strategies for the Office of Alumni and Development.
In addition, the Director for Diversity Initiatives and Talent Retention will work closely with members of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education, in particular the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education, to provide advice and counsel on issues related to employee recruitment and retention, and serve as a career development resource through the Office of Student-athlete Enrichment Services.
- Develop and implement diversity hiring strategies that will support the Office of Alumni and Development goal of being the fundraising and alumni relations employer of choice in the New York region.
- Develop, research and evaluate metrics essential to evaluating efficacy of strategies; make recommendations based on data analysis.
- Research and analyze key employee motivators and develop retention strategies for vulnerable employees (those with tenure between 1 and 3 years) within the Office of Alumni and Development.
- Evaluate and research executive search firms being considered for engagement by the Office of Alumni and Development.
- Provide advice and counsel to Director of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education on matters related to attracting and retaining a diverse and talented staff of coaches, athletics administrators and support staff.
- Consult with athletics staff in the Columbia Athletics Office of Student-athlete Enrichment regarding interview skills and job search advice and training for student-athletes.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred. Minimum 7-9 years’ related experience required.
POSITION SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience creating “Best Practices” strategies and providing recommendations in the area of employee diversity recruitment and retention.
- Understanding of current employment diversity and retention trends and general human resources thought leadership and concepts.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated experience in results and goal-oriented environment(s)
- Understanding and appreciation of unique workplace culture at Columbia University, and The Ivy League.
- Possesses stability, persistence and patience necessary to work effectively with a variety of high functioning internal and external constituents.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to plan and schedule individual and team work assignments.
- Experience working in a team oriented environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- Expert proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel and Outlook.
To apply for the job, please visit: