Posted on December 18, 2012
Director for Business Services
Columbia University - Director for Business Services
Reporting to the Deputy Vice President for Operations, the incumbent is responsible for overseeing the business office, mail room and facilities functions for the Office of Alumni and Development. The Director will coordinate and prioritize daily work flow to insure timely preparation and processing of all documents necessary to provide the goods and services required by the department and will serve as the primary contact regarding business office matters to other University departments, internal and external vendors, and others as required. Detailed responsibilities include:
- Provides authorization and management of transaction processing; responsible for the integrity of financial transactions ensuring compliance with University policy and procedures.
- Develops and executes internal control protocols, accounting procedures and administrative procedures for the department.
- Authorizes expenditures, including payroll, purchasing, accounts payable and P-card.
- Serves as departmental liaison with all related University departments including Accounts Payable, Payroll, Purchasing and Facilities.
- Manage a team of 9 staff members and is responsible for setting performance expectations as well as providing regular feedback and career guidance as appropriate.
- The incumbent provides leadership and management for the business services team. S/he develops and implements policies and procedures regarding operational and organizational support.
- The Director will also assist in the planning and coordination of facilities management activities.
- Ensure the consistent delivery of a high level of customer service.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required. Advanced degree desirable. Minimum 5-7 years’ related experience.
Additional Minimum Qualifications for the Position
- Minimum of 4-6 years of related experience in accounting, budgeting and/or fiscal analysis experience required.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service orientation required.
- Proven ability to effectively manage and lead a team.
- Must possess a detailed knowledge of University policies, procedures, and systems.
- Ability to handle confidential information with exceptional judgment and discretion necessary.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills are required with proven attention to detail and work product accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, handle multiple assignments and work with diplomacy and efficiency in a fast-paced and changing environment required.
- The ability to meet project deadlines as well as manage the timeliness of projects being handled by staff members is essential.
- Must be a self-starter who has the ability to function both independently with minimal supervision and as a member of a team-based office.
- Strong proficiency in Excel & database systems required.
Preference for broad exposure to administrative functions within a University setting and/or experience with manipulating financial and other data.
To apply for this position, please visit: https://jobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=133812