Posted on December 14, 2012
Director of Advancement Services
Central Washington University
Central Washington University - Director of Advancement Services
The Director of Advancement Services reports to the Director of University Advancement and is responsible for the day-to-day leadership of the Advancement Services area — data processing, gift processing, records management, reporting, analytics, prospect research, software and system support, staff hiring and training (students and professional staff).
Bachelor’s degree AND 5 years of experience working within the Advancement Services field OR
equivalent combination of a bachelor’s degree and experience to successfully perform the essential duties of this position.
Demonstrated commitment to accuracy and quality of work within professional positions of increased responsibility.
Experience with computer hardware and software programs necessary for executing appropriate database management, statistical analysis and reporting functions.
Demonstrated experience in The Raiser’s Edge, Microsoft Office Suite, and statistical reporting software packages.
Exceptional analytical and reporting skills.
Project and process management experience.
Supervisory experience and ability to lead/manage professional staff toward the accomplishment of individual and team goals.
Advanced understanding of data structuring.
Ability to self-direct the building of new tools (i.e. systems, reports, processes, policies and procedures necessary to inform/drive a comprehensive fundraising program.
Experience working in Higher Education.
Masters degree in related field.
Experience working within a cloud environment.
Work is performed in an office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to meet the physical demands of remaining at a desk/computer work station for prolonged periods of time, using repetitive arm, hand arm finger movements. Occasional evening or weekend work and travel may be required. Out of state travel for professional development purposes is occasionally required.
- Manage and provide oversight for Advancement Services. Provide day-to-day leadership for data processing, gift processing, records management, reporting, analytics, prospect research, software and system support, staff hiring and training (students and professional staff). Oversee budget(s). Responsible for developing, reviewing and/or implementing policies and procedures for Advancement Services, both for individual task responsibilities and the use of information systems. Manage competing priorities to improve organizational effectiveness. and evaluate functions within Advancement Services. Responsible for the functional management of the Advancement data system, The Raiser’s Edge, and the administrative tasks for the online community. Represents the administrative computing interests of University Advancement. Assure the quality, accuracy and security of information, and provide on-line and report-based access to the information, in accordance with institutional gui delines.
- Provide University Advancement staff and leadership ongoing data analysis and reporting functions (i.e. analytics, modeling, segmentation) required to drive program resource allocation, prospect/message targeting and strategic planning processes.
- Supervise staff including hiring, training, establishing job performance standards, evaluating job performance, taking correction action, train, assign and schedule work, and act upon leave requests.
- Work with the Director of University Advancement on projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work closely with all areas of Development to:
- Ensure accurate and auditable gift and pledge information is entered, maintained and reported within the established guidelines.
- Develop and maintain regular procedures to reconcile gift and pledge data.
- Monthly and Annually-Reconcile with Foundation office with issues related to the transference of data to/from Foundationand other issues as needed.
- Stay informed of: CASE Management Reporting Standards, USPS, IRS, Central Washington University Policies, industry trends, etc.
- Ensure compliance with applicable IRS regulations, FASB standards, CASEstandards, auditor requirements, department’s standard business practices and policies, and college policies. Updating and redistributing department policies as needed.
- Support the prospect management process, as well as the work of major and planned gifts and the annual fund.
- Perform all necessary analytics projects including: building new models every year for the annual fund, major gifts, planned giving, and annual fund ask amount; developing new tools (ex. Giving Pattern Algorithm, Alumni Engagement Formula); and executing and implementing all analytics models.
- Perform record and system maintenance on the Advancement data system, The Raiser’s Edge (RE) including:
- updating alumni, donor and constituent records daily; administering maintenance procedures regarding new and deceased constituents; and researching constituent information using approved search tools.
- Act as primary liaison between the Office of Advancement and Technology Services. Recommend and initiate solutions to the Advancement information system needs and problems, and prioritize those needs. File help requests with system providers as required and/or with Technology Services. Evaluate equipment needs and serve as a clearing house for the submission of equipment requests.
- Provide technical assistance directly related to The Raiser’s Edge including maintaining system security, reporting software and equipment issues, and overseeing updates to the system.
- Provide audit verification of active users. Take appropriate security measures for inactive users.
Screening of applications will begin January 11, 2013. CWU is an AA EEO/Title IV Institution.
- Provide support for building and executing plans for the annual fund appeals and Phonathon program, especially the development of all segmentation. In connection with this, providing thorough and intricate reporting on all fundraising activities from the previous year, with special focus on the annual, planned and major gift campaigns.
- Complete all major database projects including: adding new students and parents; graduating alumni; withdrawing students; restructuring data to better meet the demands and requirements of the Advancement Office with the hope of improving overall efficiency; building and executing queries, exports, imports, global adds, global changes, and global deletes as necessary.
- Manage and coordinate the availability of standard and ad-hoc reports using system tools and any additional software or system tools recommended by college system administrator.
- Weekly, monthly, and yearly reporting for boards, Advancement and administration.
- Prepare and Customize Reports and Dashboards using RE, Excel and Access
- Respond to Survey Requests for data including annually preparing the VSEReport for submission and reporting in annual publication and annually preparing the report to Admissions-US News & World Report data.
- Execute all queries and exports related to solicitations, the Central Washington University Alumni Magazine, stewardship contacts (Associates, Legacy Society, Christmas cards, major donor birthday cards, and thank you call lists), events mailings, and all other requests.
- Manage Online Community(BBNC) project :
- Act as project manager for Online Community (BBNC) project and liaison between Alumni Relations, Advancement Services and Blackbaud
- Lead quarterly assessment calls with BB seeking to improve site functionality
- Communicate site issues to Tech Services/BB
- Consult with director of public relations/marketing and website coordinator
- Perform data maintenance and administrative tasks including: helping to build and send out development emails; keeping all giving pages updated; building new pages as needed; reviewing all email bounces; and processing all backend information (new members, profile updates, and event registrations).
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
A detailed letter of application clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
Names and contact information for three references.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Sarah Scott/Search Secretary at email@example.com or 509-963-2160.
Please contact Human Resources at AskHr@cwu.edu or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.