Posted on December 14, 2012
World Society for the Protection of Animals
World Society for the Protection of Animals - Finance Manager
The World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) has an ambitious strategy to create a world where animal welfare matters and animal cruelty has ended – and we are seeking talented and passionate individuals to join our team and help us reach this goal. WSPA is the world’s largest international animal welfare organization, and continues to grow. Across our 15 international offices, we are developing programs and launching campaigns that will improve the lives of millions of animals worldwide.
In the U.S., we have opened a new office in New York City, and joining our team is an exciting opportunity to be involved on the ground floor with a stellar team of non-profit professionals and with the backing of an established world-class global organization.
The Finance Manager is a critical part of the U.S. senior team and will report to the Executive Director. S/he has key financial responsibilities in ensuring the smooth operation of the office and will work closely with colleagues across the US office, in other country offices and at WSPA International in London.
- Manage all accounting/business functions.
- Responsible for day-to-day, month-end and year-end accounting processes.
- Maintain the General Ledger (GL). Create cost centers and accounts for new funds. Ensure consistent use of coding structures as designed in the accounting software.
- Conduct monthly and quarterly variance analysis on budget allocations and prepare summary and advisory financial reports.
- Monitor and report on cash-flow to ensure adequate finances are available.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts including bank, accounts receivable, accounts payable, inter-company and other accounts as required.
- Track receipt and disbursement of restricted donations.
- Prepare the annual Financial Statementsand manage the annual audit process by liaising with external auditors andproviding all necessary financial data.
- Responsible for tax and legal filings and ensuring all statutory compliance.
- Work with budget holders to produce monthly forecasts, fiscal year budgets, commentary and other reports as needed.
- Ensure compliance with procurement policies and procedures (purchase authorizations, expense claims, check requisitions, petty cash etc.).
- Maintain up-to-date, complete, and systematic filing system to support bookkeeping and financial records.
- Advise organization of changing GAAP reporting and accounting requirements, and recommend process improvements to remain compliant.
- Process bi-weekly payroll, working with an external vendor.
- Manage employee benefits and act as the main point of contact for both employees and the 3rd party benefits provider.
- Assist with lease negotiations, office reconstruction/improvements and general office insurance needs.
- Other duties as requested by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 5 years related professional experience in Accounting, preferably working for a non-profit
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent Accounting skills
- Strong MS Office skills, including advanced Excel skills
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communications
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation, or other similar qualification
For more than 30 years, WSPA has brought relief and protection to millions of animals across the world. Today, working in more than 50 countries, WSPA continues to collaborate with local communities, NGOs and governments to change animals’ lives for the better. WSPA also acts for animals at a global level, using the organization’s United Nations consultative status to give animals a voice. If you have the qualifications for this particular role, and share WSPA’s passion for animal welfare, please let us know of your interest by applying below:
Please send a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For consideration HR4-FINM must be in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Position will remain open until filled. WSPA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.