Posted on December 13, 2012
Advocacy and Community Organizing Manager
Chhaya CDC - Advocacy and Community Organizing Manager
Chhaya seeks an energetic and dynamic Advocacy and Community Organizing Manager to spearhead and lead its grassroots organizing, civic engagement and advocacy efforts around tenant rights, predatory lending and other issues impacting local residents throughout the borough. The Manager of Advocacy and Community Organizing will focus on multiple Queens’s communities, build a leadership body of community residents within the organization, and participate in city-wide campaign efforts.
Based in Jackson Heights, Queens, New York, Chhaya Community Development Corporation (Chhaya) - meaning "shelter or shade" is dedicated to creating more stable and sustainable communities by increasing civic participation and addressing the housing and community development needs of New Yorkers of South Asian origin and their neighbors. Its work encompasses community organizing, education and one-on-one counseling as well as research and advocacy around tenant rights, financial education, homeownership, foreclosure prevention, workforce development, energy efficiency, and civic engagement.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead Chhaya’s direct organizing, outreach and advocacy efforts on tenant rights, home conversion, predatory lending, and other emerging issues in South Asian immigrant communities;
- Lead Chhaay’s civic engagement work in the South Asian immigrant communities;
- Manage Chhaya’s relationships with clients, partner organizations and community members;
- Participate in city-wide coalition efforts on civic engagement, housing rights and affordable housing;
- Manage and broaden Chhaya’s membership and building its community;
- Build, support and develop community leaders to take action effectively in the public arena;
- Develop culturally competent and translated educational materials;
- Supervise and provide support to organizing staff;
- Prepare and manage reports relevant to Chhaya’s organizing and civic engagement work;
- Assist with other related task as need.
- Bilingual in English, Bangla, Punjabi, Urdu, Nepali or Hindi is required;
- Experience in community organizing and outreach required;
- Experience with public policy analysis and advocacy preferred;
- At least two years of previous supervisory experience required;
- BA degree, or equivalent work experience;
- Experience using on-line and social media tools preferred.
Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills;
Strong public speaking, writing, and analytical skills;
Experience or willingness to work on base building, door knocking, and organizing;
Desire to learn and openness to challenge;
Experience working in diverse, multicultural and immigrant communities;
Values and Perspectives:
- Commitment to grassroots organizing approaches to creating systemic change;
- Commitment to immigrant and housing rights;
- Strong interest in community and social justice issues;
- Respectful and supportive of multi-ethnic, multi-faith, and multilingual organization.
Schedule: This is a full time position, 40 hours per week. Must be available to work flexible hours (evening and weekends).
Reports to: Director of Programs
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including generous vacation, health & dental benefits, 403B and TransitChek.
To Apply: Send a resume, a cover letter and a list of two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title Advocacy and Community Organizing Manager in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Chhaya CDC is an equal opportunity employer.