Posted on December 13, 2012
Resource Development Officer (Corporate Engagement)
Pact - Resource Development Officer (Corporate Engagement)
Position Summary: As a member of the Opportunity Development Department at Pact, each team member is committed to sharing in the success of the organization, its peers, and individual accomplishments. This department is managed through a matrixed structure that promotes securing new business revenue in a collaborative manner. Emphasis is placed on establishing best practices and rallying together around the teamís high performance. The team fosters effective communications, which is cooperative in nature and offers team members, both experienced and new professionals, opportunities for learning and professional development. Ideal candidates bring positive energy to this dynamic work environment.
Reporting to the Vice President, Opportunity Development, Marketing and Communications, the Resource Development Officer (Corporate Engagement) will be responsible for leading new business efforts to engage with socially responsible corporations, foundations, financial institutions, academia and international non-profit organizations. This individual will lead efforts that directly engage others within the new program development team. The Officer contributes to this goal by developing strategies, tools and methodologies to build strategic alliances; scouting for, developing and maintaining institutional partnerships; and, positioning Pact as a thought-leader. The incumbent will coordinate new program development and incubate long term partnerships. S/he will be responsible for developing business cases for engagement with targeted organizations and once these relationships develop ensure they are mainstreamed with Pactís executive and senior leadership. S/he will liai son between country portfolio teams, which include fellow members of the Opportunity Development team and country project delivery teams.
We are seeking an individual who is able to travel frequently, with demonstrated success in working independently. The successful candidate must exude a poised, polished and professional appearance, and be comfortable building relationships with internal and external customers at all levels. The candidate may be the sole representative of the organization at key external meetings, which will include small one-on-one settings and large public forums.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Planning and Management:
- Works with field staff and regional offices and programs to identify partnership targets, mission goals and resources.
- Preparation for talking points for key meetings
- Coordination of all key meetings and ensuring follow up actions are taken in a timely and appropriate manner
- Development of concept papers or pitch papers designed for specific audiences with key partners
Partnership Development and Relationship Development:
- Initiates and coordinates Pactís partnership development and thought-leadership, positioning efforts, with companies, financial institutions, academia and international NGOs, in particular by:
- Identifying and pursuing strategic partnerships that can lead to advocacy, thought leadership, fundraising or program implementation opportunities, preferably on a regional or global scale;
- Identifying domestic and international opportunities where Pact can engage in learning, sharing, knowledge dissemination or thought leadership activities;
"X Represent Pact at key partnership meetings
- Representing Pact at strategic events.
- Communicates Pactís innovative approaches and successes to relevant audiences, including donors, policy makers, and development practitioners, through print and electronic media, and public events.
- Supports production of technical papers and publications.
- Works with Pactís communications team on web media, marketing materials and other communications on Pactís partnerships.
- Supports and contributes to the development of partnership engagement related tools, approaches and methodologies, in particular as it relates to:
o due diligence and risk management;
o opportunity analysis and scoping;
o partnership development; proposal development;
o corporate engagement program implementation.
- On an as-needed basis, organizes trainings and learning activities that strengthen Pactís institutional capacity to mainstream corporate community engagement (CCE) activities in the organization, and integrates CCE-specific tools with other approaches and methodologies available in Pact, e.g. organizational development, advocacy, community participation techniques and other participatory processes, etc.
Opportunity Development and Implementation Support:
- Custodian of and oversees the implementation of Pactís corporate engagement policy and due diligence process for new partnerships.
- Carries out specific scoping studies and research in target regions/countries and identifies and coordinates the development of new partnerships with country and global programs.
- Meets with (or prepare materials for individuals who do) prospective partners; facilitates relationships with potential corporate partners and funders; and supports and contributes to the technical design of proposals.
- May serve as HQ point of contact for existing corporate relationships in priority countries, and provides technical support and partner/donor relationship management support on a priority basis.
- Advises Pact field, regional and HQ staff on partnership management, program implementation issues and risk management strategies
- Drafts reports on corporate relationships, in collaboration with field for senior staff and board, as needed.
Learning and Knowledge Management and Internal Communications:
- Edits and disseminates relevant case studies and experiences in relation with Pactís strategic partnership and Ďsignature initiativeí experience.
- Supports the documentation and preparation of publications on Pactís methodologies and results that can inform the wider Pact community.
- Shares and promotes these resources through a variety of venues, including email, brown bags, the intranet, etc.
- Collaborates with other technical teams and programs to facilitate the mainstreaming of Pactís partnership approaches in Pactís programming across regions and sectors.
- Populates internet and intranet with relevant information.
- A minimum of a Bachelor degree plus six years of experience, or relevant/related equivalent, in international development and/or corporate community engagement/corporate social responsibility and/or strategic partnerships.
- Knowledge of international development issues from the perspective of companies and governments, especially in natural resource and extractive industries development, health, human rights, and integrated community development. Knowledge of international best practice and standards for business is very desirable.
- Experience in developing partnerships at the institutional level, building working teams, coalitions and alliances between organizations
- Understanding of business and business practices preferred, either through education or other practical business- and for-profit related activities.
- Practical experience with companies, or general CSR activities a plus.
- A proven track record in generating funds / contracts to advance programmatic objectives
- Experience with marketing and sales development
- Experience in business development and/or familiarity with proposal writing is preferable.
- Excellent research, writing and editorial skills.
- Attention to accuracy and detail.
- Ability to distill complex issues and processes into simple clear messages.
- Strong leadership, strategic planning and project management and scheduling skills.
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Public speaking and high degree of external facing presence and mannerisms
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work on teams and collaborate across organizational functions.
- Experience living overseas and knowledge of other languages desirable.
- Budget management
Please visit this page online