Posted on December 8, 2012
Chief Development Officer
Jewish Community Association of Greater Phoenix
Jewish Community Association of Greater Phoenix - Chief Development Officer
The Jewish Community Association of Greater Phoenix (the Association) was created out of the merger of the Valley of the Sun JCC and the Jewish Federation of Greater Phoenix. The Association fulfills its mission while promoting the values of community, compassion and tzedakah in building a strong, sustainable Jewish Community, enriching our overall community and helping Jews in need around the world.
The Association seeks an innovative, dynamic, enthusiastic and experienced Vice President - Chief Development Officer (CDO) with a proven track record of fundraising accomplishment to lead the organization’s fundraising efforts including the unrestricted annual campaign; donor directed giving; corporate giving and sponsorship; Special Events and planned giving.
The CDO has primary responsibility for implementing a donor centric strategy based on deep volunteer collaboration, donor stewardship, relationship management and communication leading to strengthened donor participation. The Association faces challenges and great opportunities of increasing engagement of younger donors, establishing a strong legacy program and significantly growing our donor base.
The CDO will, with the CEO and key volunteer leaders, design and execute a comprehensive and diversified fundraising plan which includes working with special events, major gifts, corporate sponsorships, direct mail, e-philanthropy, missions, leadership development, affinity groups, and outreach.
The CDO will play a key role in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major donors. The candidate should have outstanding organizational and communication skills necessary to build strong and trusted relationships with staff, donors, agencies and volunteers. The individual will lead a team of Association professionals. The CDO will report to the CEO, will be a member of the Executive Staff and Management Teams.
Qualifications and Success Factors:
The ideal candidate for this position will be a seasoned professional with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. A Master’s degree in non-profit management, fundraising or related field is desired. CFRE is preferred. An incumbent new to this position will possess a minimum of 7 years’ experience in senior management in an organization of comparable budget, staff and program size and complexity. Past experience with a multifaceted non-profit organization is desirable. He/she will have experience in financial resource development and have the demonstrated ability to build close relationships with the community.
Most importantly, this candidate should be able to foster the creation of a sustainable fundraising model along with the necessary department infrastructure.
Internally, the candidate will provide leadership and fiscal guidance to the staff and lay leadership, setting the tone for style and manner for staff to carry out fundraising responsibilities. The candidate will communicate organizational goals and values to the staff and be proactive in developing annual objectives as well. While demanding accountability from staff at all levels, the candidate will also participate in direct recognition of employee contributions and volunteer engagement.
The candidate will also actively pursue innovative fundraising opportunities within the community while managing resource constraints. These innovative activities are accomplished by creating a development plan that strengthens our brand among donors and prospective donors, participating in collaborative relationships with appropriate organizations or agencies.
- Demonstrated success increasing financial resources and creating new partners
- Leads and manages change including anticipating the impact of emerging trends and incorporating into decision making
- Effective communications - excellent written and verbal skills and the ability to make sound data based judgments.
- Thinks and acts strategically and with accountability. Demonstrated success in developing and implementing short and long term strategic activities and tasks with clear goals, objectives and measurement tools.
- Strong management and leadership skills, including demonstrated success in ensuring teamwork and collaboration for high performing teams in a culture of accountability and discipline. Experience in successful coaching and supervision of team members is essential.
- Demonstrates innovation, creativity and a commitment to excellence
- Demonstrated experience to prioritize based on opportunities, economic/philanthropic trends and organization goals. Ability to synthesize complex ideas and activities into coherent and compelling narratives.
- Ability to manage simultaneous, multiple projects, establishing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to manage sideways, up and down effectively
- Ability to inspire others and build commitment through articulating a clear and understandable vision.
- Ability to problem-solve in order to implement a vision utilizing data and other relevant information. Understands the use of analytics to develop and implement plans.
- Proven success building and maintaining trusted relationships with key stakeholders and the ability to interact multiple constituencies.
- The successful candidate will possess a personal commitment to Jewish values and knowledge of Jewish traditions.
While knowledge about Jewish Federations is desirable, it is not a pre-requisite for this position. Candidates with significant corporate sales and marketing experience and a client focused mindset are particularly welcome.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org