Posted on December 9, 2012
National Development Operations Manager
Stand for Children
Stand for Children - National Development Operations Manager
Stand for Children is a powerful voice for students. Our mission is to ensure that all children, regardless of their background, graduate from high school prepared for, and with access to, a college education. To date, Stand for Children’s ten state affiliates (AZ, CO, IL, IN, LA, MA, OR, TN, TX, and WA) have won more than one hundred sixty victories that have impacted the lives of millions of children, work which has included playing a key role in passing important education legislation in five states in 2010 and six states in 2011. Stand for Children embarked on a $50 million Growth Campaign designed to ensure strong affiliate operations in as many as 16 states by 2015.
The Stand for Children family consists of two separate organizations—Stand for Children, a grassroots membership lobby for children exempt under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code, and Stand for Children Leadership Center, a leadership development organization exempt under section 501(c)(3).
Stand for Children and the Stand for Children Leadership Center work together to:
- Educate and empower parents, teachers, and community members to demand excellent schools;
- Advocate for effective local, state, and national education policies and investments and ensure that those policies impact classrooms and students; and
- Elect courageous leaders who will stand up for our priorities.*
- We believe all children deserve an equal opportunity to succeed in life. Education is the key that unlocks the door to success, but far too many children, through no fault of their own, aren’t getting the education they need to make it in life. We are passionately committed to righting this wrong.
Our vision is of vibrant schools where:
- Strong leaders, strong teachers, and engaged communities of parents work effectively together with a shared vision of success;
- Educators receive the support of mentors, relevant professional development, and meaningful feedback so they stay engaged and inspired;
- Educators hold high expectations and are accountable for their own and students’ success; and
- Funding is stable and adequate.
Stand for Children seeks a proactive and diligent individual to support critical network-wide development initiatives. Working with the national development team, the Development Operations Manager will implement development systems and processes that will enable national programs to be successfully funded, while ensuring best practice fundraising strategies are executed effectively across the network of 10 state affiliates.
- Manage and implement existing fundraising systems, processes, and data that track progress towards established national development goals;
- Using those systems and reports, create and support a national fundraising plan that outlines current and prospective supporters needed to meet fundraising goals;
- Work closely with the Chief Development Officer, CEO, and other Executive Team members to ensure progress towards funding major national initiatives. This includes ensuring best practices in fundraising and stewardship are implemented well, managing leadership to meet important deadlines, and keeping key stakeholders up to date on progress.
- Maintain and manage all development systems across the entire internal Stand for Children network, including ensuring all states and teams are empowered to use these systems in order to meet their development goals;
- Act as interim State Development Manager for state teams as necessary, including supporting development operations for new state affiliates; and
- Maintain comprehensive, accurate, and up-to-date files and records for all foundation and individual gifts and prospects within a database.
The National Development Operations Manager will be based out of Houston, Texas and will report to the Chief Development Officer. This individual will join a national team of professionals committed to improving children’s lives. Stand for Children’s managers are empowering, entrepreneurial leaders who are committed to providing outstanding supervision in order for staff to develop as professionals and grow within the organization.
Qualifications and Qualities Required:
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience, preferably within a high performing non-profit organization;
- Previous experience in development required, ideally with internally managing individual and major gifts and creating fundraising plans;
- Very strong systems orientation and proven experience with internal development systems (such as Salesforce or Raiser’s Edge);
- Exceptional project management skills, including the ability to align big-picture, strategic objectives with a detailed project plan, and strong follow-up to ensure successful implementation;
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized;
- Strong focus on measurable benchmarks and results;
- Proactive and confident when working with leadership and dispersed staff, ability to both give and incorporate direct and respectful feedback;
- Ability to be flexible and agile in a fast-paced work environment while maintaining the patience to make informed and data-driven decisions;
- Experience with Microsoft Office, particularly: Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word; and
- Strong commitment to and alignment with Stand for Children and Stand for Children Leadership Center’s shared mission.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Stand for Children is proud to offer an excellent benefits package, including: health and dental coverage, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term care coverage, 401K with a match plan, flexible spending/benefits plan, and holidays and vacation accrual.
Stand for Children and Stand for Children Leadership Center are equal opportunity employers and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. To apply for this position, please visit http://stand.org/careers and fill out our online application, including uploading your resume and a thoughtful cover letter. No calls please.