Posted on December 5, 2012
BRIDGE project - Project Manager
Do you love to use your operational, people, and project management skills to create new things? Do you have a passion for creating systems? Are you comfortable working with technical teams and can you speak the language of open data, transparency, and social impact? GlobalGiving.org, in collaboration with TechSoup Global, GuideStar, and the Foundation Center, is looking for a Project Manager to drive implementation of the Basic Registry of Uniquely Identified Global Entities (BRIDGE) Project.
There is increasing evidence that transparency of official and private aid increases its efficiency and effectiveness. Consistent capture and publication of data enables more effective decision-making and learning in funders, implementers, and the communities they aim to serve. Organizations in both international philanthropy and official foreign assistance have made explicit commitments to a variety of transparency standards. It is an encouraging development, but the full potential of these commitments cannot be achieved until some key infrastructure elements are put in place. Among these is a unique identifier for organizations engaged in this work that is as commonly used as possible. This critical element, of critical need to the philanthropic and official development assistance ecosystems, will ease collaboration and provide a vital link between private philanthropy and official aid.
With funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the William & Flora Hewlett Foundation, the core BRIDGE team of GuideStar, TechSoup Global, Foundation Center, and GlobalGiving will build a functioning registry of NGOs with unique identifiers. This will be a new database built by a team of technical contractors that would perform an initial synchronization of our data, assign a unique ID to each of the estimated 3,000,000 unique organizations in our respective databases, and create processes for the core team to begin updating the BRIDGE dynamically. In slightly more technical terms, the BRIDGE will contain: a Universal ID standard, a validated logical data model, a functional API for retrieving, updating and inserting records into that data model, and a process to match and de-duplicate data during bulk uploads and during single record inserts.
The role of the BRIDGE Project Manager will be to drive the project during the initial one-year build. The BRIDGE Project Manager will be the key link between core team members at GuideStar, GlobalGiving, TechSoup Global, and Foundation Center, the remote technical team, and the project's funders. The BRIDGE Project Manager will drive decision-making processes, will manage finances, will manage the technology contractors, will report back to funders, and will assemble a Technical Advisory Board, external to the core team, to provide ongoing advice and perspective. The position would be a one-year contract. Space will be made available at GlobalGiving's Washington, DC office.
If you're up for the challenge and are passionate about how an improved information infrastructure can drive social change, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line "BRIDGE Project Manager". Principals only. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States. Salary range dependent on skill and experience.
- Work with senior management at GlobalGiving, TechSoup Global, GuideStar, and Foundation Center to develop detailed project plans and to execute against those plans.
- Assemble and convene a Technical Advisory Group of experts outside of the core team to provide initial feedback on the technical approach and ongoing advice.
- Administer all aspects of BRIDGE Project operations, including financial management, grant reporting, call and meeting scheduling and facilitation, and management of technical implementation team.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the BRIDGE Project by thoroughly understanding similar efforts in other contexts, assisting with recruitment of partners beyond the core team, exploring long-term governance models, and working with core team members to help implement BRIDGE integrations.
- Rigorously document meetings, decisions, and progress.
- 5-10 years relevant work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience required.
- Strong quantitative, technical design, process analysis, and project management skills in a technical environment.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; strong organizational and time management skills; ability to multi-task under a deadline, with great productivity and attention to detail.
- Strong operational orientation and focus on holding others accountable.
- Experience managing remote teams and ability to work autonomously while actively seeking direction from multiple constituents.
- Commitment to the overall goal of the BRIDGE Project, a passion for collaboration, a sense of humor, patience, and flexibility.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to:
Chief Program Officer
1023 15th St. NW, 12th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
202-232-5784 (office) | 703-624-0770 (mobile) | jhecklinger (Skype)