Posted on November 26, 2012
Network on Religion and Justice
Network on Religion and Justice - NRJ Coordinator
The Network on Religion and Justice for Asian and Pacific Islander Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer people (NRJ) is a culturally grounded, LGBTQ-affirming, spiritually grounded, justice seeking network of API LGBTQ organizations and individuals their faith community, family and friends working to nurture and support efforts toward a fully LGBTQ-inclusive Asian/Asian American and Pacific Islander faith community.
We do this using three primary strategies:
- Nurture: creating safe spaces for API LGBTQ people through our retreats, talking circles, Bible study and/or other spiritual studies.
- Nudge: support congregations to be open and affirming and taking part in advocacy on behalf of API LGBTQ people.
- Knowledge: building a body of resources and creative arts (films, academic papers) on the intersection of spirituality and API LGBTQ communities.
NRJ is fiscally sponsored by Asian Americans for Civil Rights and Equality (AACRE). AACRE connects communities, ideas, and action to inspire a collective movement for positive change. AACRE is made up of a number of API organizations: Chinese for Affirmative Action, API Equality-Northern California, Hyphen, Asian Prisoner Support Committee, and Alliance of South Asians Taking Action.
The NRJ Coordinator will be a key leader and facilitator within the organization, who will help maintain communication among NRJ constituencies of congregations, pastors,, and other individuals,, and keep all voices at the table. The Coordinator will assist the NRJ community in continuing dialogue and articulation of NRJ’s mission, history, vision and direction.
Specific duties will include:
Leadership & Organizational Development
- Provide leadership in organizing NRJ events, including an annual retreat;
- Plan, facilitate and distribute minutes for regular NRJ meetings that include quarterly board meetings, monthly planning meetings, and an ongoing support group called Talking Circles;
- Support NRJ sub-committees to promote information flow and awareness of program goals and achievements;
- Recruit, supervise, and coordinate NRJ core members/volunteers to implement NRJ programs.
Outreach & Communications
- Act as liaison between NRJ and community organizations, serve as NRJ contact person;
- Represent NRJ at community events and meetings, including quarterly AACRE meetings; bring community requests to NRJ meetings;
- Maintain or support volunteers in maintaining the NRJ website and Facebook page; act as NRJ’s listserv moderator;
- Manage creation of outreach materials for NRJ and NRJ events (e.g. flyers, brochures, etc.).
- In partnership with NRJ Board and volunteers, complete grant proposals and reports to funding agencies;
- Manage NRJ grants to ensure compliance with grant goals and requirements;
- Provide board with feedback and assessment on organizational needs and capacities.
The desired qualifications and skills include:
The NRJ Coordinator will be the sole paid staff person for NRJ for the time being. We recognize that this job should easily be a full-time job. As funding currently supports 10 hours a week, job duties will need to be prioritized in conversation with the board and leadership team. An NRJ Board member will be assigned to provide support & guidance to the NRJ Coordinator.
- well-organized self-starter,
- strong written and verbal communication skills,
- experience with API churches, progressive API organizations, and LGBTQ issues,
- experience with program development,
- small group, meeting facilitation skills,
- experience organizing and supervising volunteers,
- experience writing grants and reporting to funders,
- event planning experience, and
- website maintenance skills a plus.
Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications received by Dec.5, 2012, will be given first priority.