Posted on November 25, 2012
Chief Executive Officer
COMHAR - Chief Executive Officer
COMHAR, Inc., is a nonprofit health & human services organization that provides a broad spectrum of integrated behavioral health, intellectual disabilities, HIV/AIDS, and home health services to children, adults and the elderly. COMHAR provides these services through a staff of approximately 610 in a range of community, home, residential, school and workplace settings. COMHAR serves ethnically and culturally diverse populations including Hispanic/Latino, LGBT, and AODS/HIV communities. COMHAR enjoys a long and proud history
Reporting to the President of the Board of Directors, the basic role of the CEO is to serve as COMHAR’s principal advisor to the Board and the organization’s chief management and administrative officer. In this capacity, working closely with the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer provides overall leadership and management that successfully achieve the organization’s mission, goals and operational objectives. Basic responsibilities include advising, as well as carrying out decisions of the Board; executing strategic plans; ensuring financial viability; organization development; and serving as COMHAR’s principal public advocate building productive relationships with all interested, outside third parties and constituencies.
The CEO’s management responsibilities include building and supervising COMHAR’s senior executive team through which he/she oversees program development and evaluation, operations, finance, human resources, fundraising, marketing, public relations, information technology, and compliance. In carrying out these responsibilities, the CEO will provide the kind of inspired leadership that reinforces and builds upon COMHAR’s culture of Trust, Respect, Openness, Compassion and Empathy.
High Priority Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and vision to the organization and key management staff.
- Formulate and implement policies, plans and programs aimed at enhancing effective communications among and between all administrative and operational levels throughout the organization.
- As ex-officio Board member, work closely with the Board of Directors to facilitate the ongoing development and execution of a comprehensive planning process and formulation of a business plan that conforms to the organization's strategic plan.
- Exert forceful leadership and provide direction to the organization’s administrative, program and operational management to insure the successful and efficient implementation of policies, plans and programs.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a comprehensive master fundraising program that includes a strategy for identifying, cultivating and soliciting area corporations, foundations and individuals for annual and major gifts
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with key decision makers in City, County and State governments and within the area's corporate and foundation giving realms. Provide ongoing organizational and programmatic review to continually identify opportunities for improving revenues to fund both new and existing programs and augment surpluses.
At least 10 years of demonstrably successful senior, multi-functional management experience in a not-for-profit and/or for profit organization.
Ideally, previous experience in a related community based, human services organization that has provided familiarity with the complex issues and challenges facing community service agencies in an age of diminishing government support.
Demonstrated success in effectively leading change and organizational growth through unusual strength in strategic planning and a decisive, business-oriented yet sensitive management style.
Demonstrated success in providing leadership, direction, and overall development of an organization’s Board of Directors.
Strong operational experience responsible for program development and successful management of a health-related human service agency.
Strong understanding of fund raising (corporate, foundation, individual, and government philanthropy), marketing and public relations, and experience with successfully engaging key COMHAR external stakeholders including funders, business partners, policy makers, media representatives, top City and State officials, and grassroots community leaders.
Experience, understanding and sensitivity to a multicultural environment, especially the Hispanic community.
Some level of fluency in Spanish would be a plus.
Demonstrated knowledge of relevant health, education, government, and public policy issues.
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in business or healthcare or related management preferred.
A visionary leader capable of inspiring, catalyzing, and successfully managing people through organizational change.
An outstanding communicator – articulate, persuasive, open, transparent, forthcoming.
A dynamic, business strategist – decisive, tough minded, results-oriented yet balanced, objective, and fair.
A collaborative, approachable leader – culturally sensitive, empathetic, engaging. A people sensitive listener.
A common sense, rational, organized, focused, decision maker who fully considers all points of view, rationally weighs the relative merits of alternative courses of action, and is not afraid to make tough decisions.
Trustworthy, honest, believable with highest standards of ethics, integrity, and professionalism.
Deeply values and embraces a culture of Trust, Respect, Openness, Compassion and Empathy.
To apply please contact:
JF Smith & Associates, Inc.
500 Office Center Drive, Suite 400
Ft. Washington, PA 19034