Posted on November 20, 2012
Center for Improving Value in Health Care
Data Analyst, Center for Improving Value in Health Care (CIVHC)
Reports To: Director of Data and Research
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-time
The Data Analyst’s role is to work closely with the Director of Data and
Research and the CIVHC leadership team to develop an empirical foundation for
measurement of the impact of CIVHC’s strategic initiatives.
Key elements involve performing analysis of data and generating reports and
other information products related to CIVHC’s role as Administrator of the
Colorado All Payer Claims Database (APCD). In this role, the Data Analyst will
apply proven analytical, problem-solving and communications skills to help
maximize the value of the APCD. In addition, the Data Analyst will contribute to
CIVHC’s efforts to develop, track and publish results for a variety of
metrics associated with CIVHC’s Triple Aim goals of improving health and
the quality of care, and lowering health care costs for Coloradans.
Education and Skills:
Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, mathematics, public
health, public policy or related field that required development of quantitative
skills related to hypothesis testing and systematic data analysis.
- Three to five years of applied, quantitative health policy research
- Expertise in the use of Microsoft Excel, PowerPivot, Pivot Tables,
Analysis Services, OLAP, and similar Business Intelligence (BI) tools and
- Experience using SAS, SQL, SPSS or similar statistical tools to
analyze large health information datasets.
Experience or familiarity with MDX and DAX programming languages.
Practical knowledge related to merging data sets obtained from
- Project management and vendor management experience a plus.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Experience working with large healthcare claims datasets is a very
- Minimum of three years of professional experience in a health policy
or a health services data and research environment.
- Excellent quantitative, analytical and technical capabilities
combined with a proactive disposition in supporting organizational mission and
- Successful background in performing complex analyses of healthcare
- Ability to understand and interpret complex healthcare data and
public policy research.
- Ability to work collaboratively with researchers, public officials,
and diverse stakeholder groups.
- Ability to effectively present results of research to executive
staff, program staff and external stakeholders in a compelling manner.
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, result’s oriented
- A high level of self-motivation, self-direction, and intellectual
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to efforts to create and implement a comprehensive strategy
for maintaining an efficient, well-organized data management infrastructure.
- Provide analytical support for CIVHC including management of the data
included on the CIVHC and All Payer Claims Database websites.
- Conduct statistical analyses of healthcare data, including complex claims
and survey data, and provide interpretation of the results for written reports
- Conduct the importing, cleaning and processing of data from multiple
sources and in different formats.
- Provide statistical consulting services to CIVHC staff and external
constituents, regarding the framing of research questions, the appropriate uses
of data and identifying appropriate statistical modeling techniques to answer
specific health policy research questions.
- Work collaboratively with the CIVHC team to maintain and achieve the
mission and vision of CIVHC.
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Occasional evening and weekend work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to sit and work at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to travel to and from meetings and appointments.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as
computers and peripherals.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of
work being performed: it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list
of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for this position.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will only be
contacted if selected for an interview.