Posted on November 13, 2012
Director of Finance
Symphony Space - Director of Finance
Symphony Space, a two-theatre, not-for-profit performing arts center at 95th St & Broadway in New York City, seeks an experienced and dynamic Director of Finance. Symphony Space has a $6.2M operating budget, annual capital budget of $200,000, and investments of $10M. Through its in-house productions and rental programs, six hundred events are presented or produced each year. In addition to its theatres, Symphony Space also operates a studio and a bar/café. For list of programs, see symphonyspace.org
The Director of Finance reports directly to the President/CEO and manages a full time staff accountant and full time bookkeeper. S/he works in concert with the Board of Directors Finance and Investment Committees.
The Director of Finance
- Oversees all financial operations, financial planning and financial structure
- Prepares the annual budget with senior management
- Prepares reports for internal use and board and funder review including short and long-term financial forecasts of financial performance, cash flow models and investment reports
- Analyzes institutional, departmental and program expense and revenue projections;
- Directs annual audit and tax functions
- Develops, implements and maintains accounting and administrative policies and procedures
- Maintains close and regular contact with bank officials, auditors, vendors and accounting consultants;
- Manages full utilization and upgrades of Financial Edge, accounting software;
- Maintains fiscal controls over receipt, deposit and disbursement of funds; manages purchase order and invoices
- Manages system of cash control, including box office, concession and bar receipts;
- Monitors financial contract compliance;
- Monitors investment and bank fund activities.
Requirements of the Position:
- BA in accounting, finance or related field; graduate degree preferred
- Extensive experience with computerized accounting systems and spreadsheets; experience with Finance Edge program highly desirable;
- Broad knowledge of not-for-profit GAAP accounting and reporting;
- Minimum five years finance experience at comparable organization;
- Experience with not-for-profit business practices;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks independently; strong attention to detail;
- Ability to anticipate and manage change; strong affinity for systems analysis and implementation;
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; benefits include medical insurance, contributory dental plan, flexible spending program, life insurance, contributory annuity plan.
Email cover letter and resume with Director of Finance in the subject line to:
No calls, please.