Posted on February 28, 2013
Regional Chapter Executive
American Red Cross of the Finger Lakes Region
American Red Cross of the Finger Lakes Region - Regional Chapter Executive
The American Red Cross of the Finger Lakes Region (ARC-FLR) is seeking a dynamic leader to serve as Regional Chapter Executive (RCE), the principal American Red Cross leader in the Rochester, New York area. The Regional Chapter Executive will lead a dedicated team of mission-driven professionals and volunteers in service delivery, fundraising and partnership development and management, attracting and leveraging substantial resources to achieve the mission of this key American Red Cross Region. ARC-FLR provides critical programs and services across 9 counties in Western New York, from the Pennsylvania border to Lake Ontario, with a combined population of 1.3 million. It mobilizes a total of approximately 2,000 volunteers who support delivery of services to over 20,000 people each year and trains over 100 new volunteers annually.
The mission of the American Red Cross is to provide relief to victims of disasters and help people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. While chartered by the United States Congress, the American Red Cross is an independent nonprofit organization and is financially supported by voluntary public contributions and cost reimbursement. The Regional Chapter Executive is appointed jointly by national American Red Cross leadership and a local Board and reports to the American Red Cross Division Vice President.
This highly successful, results-driven Chapter’s primary focus is ensuring communities are prepared for, can respond to, and recover from emergencies of all types. It manages community resilience programs, working with community partners to ensure that the communities build local capacity. In addition, the work includes supporting members of the military and their families in times of need and helping vulnerable people and communities around the world as part of the global American Red Cross network.
With Rochester as the hub, ARC-FLR has a staff of 41 full-time and 11 part-time, an annual operating budget of $6.2 million and an annual fundraising goal of $4 million. It is comprised of 8 chapters serving 9 counties. This includes the Greater Rochester, Greater Steuben, West Ontario County, Northern Livingston County, Clara Barton Chapter #1 in Dansville, Yates County, Wayne County, Sullivan Trail and American Red Cross in the Finger Lakes in Seneca Falls. These serve as local sites for community programs, volunteer recruitment, and disaster preparedness and response (see www.redcross.org).
The RCE is the public face of the American Red Cross in the Region and will lead in achieving challenging goals. S/he will serve as a member of the Division leadership team and will supervise a senior management team including 4 Chapter Executives, a Chief Program Officer, Chief Development Officer, a Chief Communications Officer.
- Ensure strong visibility for the American Red Cross regionally. Represent the American Red Cross and form high-level relationships with key organizations and community leaders including donors, local and state government officials, corporations, civic organizations and other community charitable and nonprofit organizations. Drive community awareness, participation and commitment to the American Red Cross by being an active community participant and ensure regular media communications regarding American Red Cross services and regional/national activities in coordination with Regional/National communication strategies. Serve as the primary regional media interface, leveraging relationships with regional media to ensure timely and accurate information about services and programs.
- Raise funds to deliver the American Red Cross mission down the street, across the country, and around the world. With the support of a Division fundraising VP, lead in developing strategies and growing and leveraging financial resources. Working with the Regional and Community Chapter boards to achieve fundraising objectives.
- Build Regional capacity for service delivery through engagement and development of volunteers and partners. Recruit high-profile community leaders who will advocate for the organization. Partner with the local Board of Directors in fundraising, planning and service delivery. Ensure that youth and young adults are engaged, and ensure that critical community resources view the American Red Cross as the preferred way for individuals, groups and corporations to fulfill their desire for meaningful and fulfilling philanthropic experiences.
- Manage program and financial metrics. Work with the Division Vice President to establish Regional revenue and expenses budgets and hold responsibility for delivery of Regional goals. Hold responsibility for sound strategic and operational management/oversight and public accountability for contributions, income and assets.
Other important responsibilities include:
- Lead the Regional American Red Cross team, both paid and volunteer, to increase the community’s resilience and motivate residents to prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. Act as the convener of community resources to ensure community preparedness and resilience and, with guidance from national programs, ensure that the American Red Cross mission is delivered within the Region. Hold responsibility for disaster response, representing the community during crisis and working with national staff to ensure effective service delivery.
- Develop and retain a talented, effective, and diverse workforce of employees and volunteers. Hire, manage and evaluate the management team. Work collaboratively with Community Chapter Boards, building a consensus environment, and supervise and support of Community Chapter Executives.
- Serve as a member of the Division leadership team, supporting and contributing to Division goals and activities. Ensure a coordinated relationship with external constituents and collaborative interactions with other American Red Cross units. Serve on national task forces and projects as needed.
Qualifications, experience and characteristics desired:
To apply, send cover letter, resume and salary history to Susan Egmont at Egmont Associates, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of the American Red Cross and ability to project the vision;
- Proven success in developing strategies and implementing high-level resource development and/or fundraising including major gifts;
- Ability to build consensus within the organization and community;
- Senior nonprofit leadership experience or business experience with exposure to community/volunteer programs;
- Capability to engage and motivate volunteers and stakeholders;
- Experience working with board(s) of directors;
- Record of management success with financial, planning and operations responsibilities;
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective work teams and to help people to grow within the organization;
- Outstanding public presentation skills and experience working with the media;
- Strong listening, writing, and oral communication. Critical thinking skills and strong initiative;
- Experience working in an organization with national/local relationships a plus;