Posted on November 13, 2012
EastWest Institute Development Associate
The Development Associate reports to the VP Development and works closely with Program staff to support the organization's program-restricted fundraising objectives. She/he is responsible for raising gifts each year for programs from individuals, family, private and corporate foundations, corporations, and international governments capable of major gifts from $5,000-$500,000.
The focus of this position is on program fundraising especially cyber security. The incumbent is responsible for developing and implementing a formal corporate giving program.
- Identify funding opportunities for program funding from foundations, governments, corporations and private individuals.
- Work with Programs, Development, VP Development in the creation of an annual fundraising plan for program related funding that includes realistic, yet ambitious, monthly and yearly expectations for number of visits, solicitations and stewardships.
- Guide the Institute in the identification, qualification, solicitation and stewardship of individuals, corporations, foundations and governments to increase the number of donors and the level of giving from renewed donors in support of the Institute's annual appeal.
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of approximately 50-100 donors and prospects.
- Under the direction of the VP Development, collaborate with program staff on requests / grant proposals for restricted funds and flexible restricted support and reports to donors including letters of inquiry, proposals, budgets and work plans, and ensuring all submission and reporting deadlines are met.
- Ensure that proposals and applications meet internal and potential donor expectations, requirements and standards of quality.
- Build and maintain strong donor relations with current and future donors, working in collaboration with Program, Development and Communications staff.
- Coordinate with the Program and Finance departments to deliver narrative and financial reports to donors per the terms of agreement.
- Work with Finance and Development staff to update Program funding forecasts regularly.
- As appropriate, engage CEO, VP's, Board volunteers, Fellows, and Program Managers in prospect meetings and engaging constituents in working groups, as needed.
- Develop and maintain a tracking system for solicitations, including proposal and report deadlines. Ensure that all prospect/donor database records are on Raiser's Edge including contact information, trip reports, communications, etc.
- Participate in Institutional Advancement Committee meetings and, at the direction of the VP Development, engage regularly with members of the Committee.
- Maintain open and transparent communication with all EWI Development and Program staff.
- At the direction of the VP Development, represent EWI as required in meetings, at events, and with board members.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- A proven professional with at least 5 years experience in raising major gifts from foundations, corporations and governments for the non-profit sector; history of working with European donors a distinct advantage;
- Strong record of soliciting and securing grants;
- Experience in guiding and reviewing program budgets;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Knowledge of current trends in national and international philanthropy;
- Ability to travel;
- Ability to represent organization to donors and prospects, government officials, and policy experts;
- Ability to interact with multiple cultures and international audiences;
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to multi-task;
- Experience with Raiser's Edge or comparable software as well as Outlook, Excel, and Word;
- Bachelor's Degree.
- EWI hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.
Please only apply if you have the necessary qualifications. This is NOT an entry level position.
contact email: email@example.com