Posted on March 18, 2013
Vice President of Development
Samasource - Vice President of Development
Samasource is an award-winning social enterprise with a huge vision—to connect the one billion people living in poverty around the world to work using technology. Samasource combines the fast-paced, results-driven culture of a tech start-up with the social mission and idealism of a non-profit. We like to move quickly and get things done—if you join us, you will be part of a dynamic team that is passionate about making an impact.
Samasource was founded in 2008 and is supported by major corporate and philanthropic funders including MasterCard, Google, eBay, Cisco, Rockefeller, Ford and the State Department. Headquartered in San Francisco’s Mission District, Samasource has 30+ employees and gives work to thousands of people worldwide. To date over 3,500 women and youth workers have been impacted in over 9 countries through microwork outsourced by over 90 companies. In the next 3-5 years we are looking to increase our impacting over 250,000 people through this innovative technology and model. To learn more, please visit: samasource.org
In order to reach our aggressive program and impact goals, we are looking for our first Vice President of Development who will lead the strategy and execution of the development team. This person will oversee all fundraising initiatives including individual donors, corporate sponsorships, and the annual Give Work Gala. Alongside a successful team, they will ensure the most efficient systems are in place and support a talented staff in adapting their processes to reach big goals.
The VP of Development will work closely with the CEO and Founder to best leverage her in fundraising efforts as well as support and mentor staff. They will be responsible for innovating new revenue streams and bringing best practices in development to Samasource. Working from the San Francisco office, the VP of Development will work from the Samasource office in San Francisco, CA, supervise a growing development team, and will report to Leila Janah, Founder & CEO.
- Develop and execute a development plan and implement efficient systems to ensure achievement of high growth goals
- Support, mentor, and manage the development staff
- Work in close partnership with Founder/CEO to most highly leverage her time and engagement along all development related issues
- Manage and build a portfolio of 100+ individual donors and corporate partners capable of making gifts at the $50,000 to $100,000+ level
- Manage a production team to run our fifth-annual Give Work Gala to increase contributions from individual donors and corporate sponsors
- Build long-term relationships with major donors; leveraging existing network of donors and technology leads
- Collaborate with management team and board members to identify new philanthropists and major donors
- Build out a fundraising committee or advisory board to further engage key partners and donors
- Provide background information and identify methods of engagement for individual and corporate donor prospects
- Maintain accurate donor contact records in our CRM
- 7+ years raising money for early stage non-profits, social enterprises, or political campaigns; demonstrated success building and leading a development team
- Demonstrated track record of identifying prospective donors and developing long-term relationships
- Ability to engage donors in contributing to organizational sustainability in addition to direct service
- Superior interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment with a high level of ambiguity
- Tech-savvy and an avid user of social media
- Experience using Salesforce or other donor CRM tools
- A desire to change the world
- Outgoing personality and great sense of humor
- Eligibility to work in the U.S
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience required, masters degree preferred
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Leila Janah, Founder & CEO, at http://jobs.cgcareers.org/application.aspx?id=2002. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Samasource offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Samasource is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers:
Samasource has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a VP of Development. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm for the nonprofit sector. With robust networks, a range of service offerings, and accessible fees, Commongood Careers is committed to providing a smarter way for the nation’s leading edge nonprofits to make high-impact hires. Since 2005, Commongood Careers has led over 600 searches for 200 organizations in 29 states, making us one of the most experienced nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit jobs at Commongood Careers.