Posted on November 8, 2012
Director of Development and Marketing
Project Bread - Director of Development and Marketing
Project Bread is the state’s leading antihunger organization. Our vision is a Commonwealth of Massachusetts where all residents have reliable, consistent access to affordable, culturally appropriate, and healthy food. The organization has an annual operating budget of $8 million and 40 fulltime employees, including ten development and marketing staff. We strive to develop new ideas, new partners, and new ways of feeding hungry people. Grounded in the belief that hunger is a solvable problem, we conduct demonstration projects and communicate their results to bring them to scale. We have contributed an impressive list of “firsts” to the cause of feeding hungry people in Massachusetts.
Through our Walk for Hunger, the oldest continual pledge walk in the country, we provide millions of dollars each year in privately donated funds to more than 400 emergency food programs in 130 communities statewide. We also champion programs that provide food to families in neighborhood settings such as schools, after-school programs, summer programs, community health centers, hospitals, and elder home care facilities — making hunger relief a normal part of their day.
A newly envisioned role for Project Bread, the Director of Development and Marketing will report to the Executive Director and will be responsible for five primary outcomes within the organization: a robust and diversified income stream, an integrated strategic marketing process and plan, stewardship of The Walk for Hunger, senior level strategic thinking and leadership, and an effective and motivated development and marketing team. The Director of Development and Marketing position is an exciting opportunity for an innovative, creative and self-driven person to join an exceptional team and create lasting impact on the lives on people in Massachusetts.
- A robust and diversified income stream
- Develop and execute against a robust major donor program to increase revenue
- Increase traffic to the website and increase online donations, in addition to online funds for The Walk for Hunger,
- Oversee the direct mail program, holiday campaigns, corporate partnerships, and other fundraising activities,
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications and the Executive Director to leverage the Board of Directors as donors, connectors, and brand carriers, and
- Collaborate with other senior staff on foundations funding.
- An integrated strategic marketing process and plan
- Collaborate with all aspects of the organization in the development and implementation of an strategic marketing plan,
- Sustain our brand through on-going monitoring and analysis of our markets and ecosystem,
- Oversee the development and delivery of messaging assets, social media, and internal cascading communications, and
- Oversee projectbread.org, including web updates, redesign, email marketing, and audience segmentation.
- Stewardship of The Walk for Hunger
- Preserve The Walk for Hunger as the core revenue stream and gateway to other revenue streams, and
- Leverage the Walk’s social impact, community involvement, and brand.
- Senior level strategic thinking and leadership
- Contribute to the development of a cohesive leadership team that explores issues, makes decisions, designs plans, and delegates work,
- Interpret fundraising data for performance tracking and forecasting,
- Manage department budgets within the context of the corporate bottom line,
- Inform and challenge senior leaders to adapt to market realities,
- Support the executive director in responding to the requests of the Board of Directors, and
- Generate, share, and support the evolving network of strategic alliances of the organization.
- An effective and motivated development and marketing team
- Build processes that deliver results,
- Hire and develop the right talent,
- Resource, manage, hold accountable, and reward high performance, and
- Build team cohesiveness and manage differences between individuals and subgroups toward integration.
- Significant experience with and expertise with various development and marketing techniques, strategies, and best practices, ideally including major gifts, online fundraising, events, corporate partnerships, direct mail and social media
- Demonstrated track record designing and executing against major gifts strategies strongly preferred
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; ability to vary communication style to meet the need of the audience
- Strong team management experience; ability to work collaboratively both with both the Development and Marketing team, as well as the Leadership Team to achieve aggressive goals
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment while being flexible and detail-oriented.
- Must be able to work efficiently on several projects simultaneously and prioritize deadlines
- Demonstrated conceptual skills and analytical capabilities
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and computer skills
- Raiser’s Edge and Convio experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, in Word format, to Allyson Biegeleisen at http://jobs.cgcareers.org/application.aspx?id=1969. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Project Bread is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Commongood Careers:
Project Bread has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Development and Marketing. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of the nation’s most innovative and high-performing nonprofit organizations. Since its founding in 2006, Commongood Careers has completed over 500 searches at 150 organizations in 26 states. Founded and staffed by nonprofit professionals, Commongood Careers offers personalized, engaged services to jobseekers and organizations throughout the hiring process, as well as access to a wealth of knowledge about nonprofit careers.