Posted on November 7, 2012
Enrichment Coordinator VISTA 2013 -2014
Horton's Kids - Enrichment Coordinator VISTA 2013 -2014
Horton’s Kids, Inc., recent winner of the Best Non-Profit in the Washington City Paper’s Best of DC 2012 Reader’s Poll and the 2011 Washington Post Award for Excellence in Non Profit Management, is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit tutoring and mentoring organization that benefits children living in Washington, DC’s Anacostia neighborhood. The cornerstone of our services is our thrice-weekly one-on-one tutoring program in the Rayburn House Office Building and in the Department of Education. To support the children’s education, Horton’s Kids provides college and career planning for older youth, monthly field trips, eyeglasses, access to dental care, nutritious meals, warm winter coats, educational advocacy, and more. In addition, the organization provides holiday gifts and celebrations, family assistance, and other activities aimed at improving the quality of life for the children.
We are seeking a highly-motivated person to serve as our Enrichment Coordinator through Americorps VISTA. The Enrichment Coordinator position at Horton’s Kids would be a great fit for someone interested in education, working with low income youth and families, or social work. The Enrichment Coordinator will work at least 40 hours per week and will report to the Programs Director.
To enhance the tutoring programs and more specifically, strengthen the support and resources for beginner readers, special needs students, and older youth.
Project tasks and activities include:
Educational Program Support
- Communicate student progress with volunteers
- Review daily volunteer feedback and provide suggestions/advice for tutoring sessions
- Assist with developing and modifying summer curriculum
- Assist with developing and managing educational initiatives for older youth at tutoring and at older youth programs
- Coordinating student enrollment for tutoring
Educational Advocacy Support
- Assist Education Manager in implementing intervention curriculum for students struggling with math and reading and those with special needs
- Support Education Lead in training and providing ongoing support to volunteers on beginner reader and special needs curriculum
- Assess and track progress of special needs students; attend IEP/special needs meetings at schools with parents as appropriate
- Provide resources for parents of beginner readers and students with special needs
- Support education team in connecting students and parents with higher-performing school options and assist with application process
Health and Enrichment Program Support
- Assist Health & Enrichment Associate with updating, collecting, and maintaining children’s medical information
- Work with Health & Enrichment Associate to order, deliver, and distribute healthy meals to children and families.
- Assist in developing methods of educating and empowering children and parents
- Help implement parent programs to build more self-sufficient households
- Work with Health & Enrichment Associate to research and coordinate Sunday field trips, specifically opportunities for older youth
- Work with Health & Enrichment Associate to research and coordinate Sunday field trips, specifically opportunities for older youth to coordinate Sunday and older youth field trips and special events.
The Horton’s Kids staff works in a metro-accessible office located on Capitol Hill. Because the Community Resource Center in Anacostia is not metro accessible, access to a vehicle is helpful but not required. However, all applicants must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to drive the Horton’s Kids minivan.
If interested, please email your cover letter and resume in an email with the subject “Enrichment Coordinator VISTA 2013-2014” to email@example.com. The email and the cover letter need to be addressed to Ms. Kavya George. No phone calls, please.
Applicants will be asked to undergo standard screening requirements, including an FBI background check, a Child Protection Registry check, and a TB test. Must be at least 18-years old to apply. Horton’s Kids, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.